Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
09-25-18 04:42 PM
Guest:

0 users reading Donald Trump has crossed the line. | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - Donald Trump has crossed the line. New reply

Pages: 1 2
StapleButter
Posted on 06-02-17 04:51 PM Link | #83491
not to mention the lasting consequences.

Hitler's crap is over and gladly didn't end up decimating entire ethnic groups. but maybe it could have done so given enough time.

but global warming... we could completely stop burning fossil fuels tomorrow, and we wouldn't be sure how things would go afterwards, but inertia would likely make it go on for a while.

communism

Baby Luigi
Posted on 06-02-17 04:54 PM Link | #83493
Posted by Yami
I'm so getting tired of all those "Person X = Hitler" comparisons...

That's why Godwin's Law was invented.

Trump is down as one of the worst US presidents in history. But look in the bright side, at least satire will be amazing. What Trump does writes the goddamn jokes for itself.

SuperML
Posted on 06-02-17 05:08 PM Link | #83499
I agree absolutely. The only good thing that will come out of Trump's presidency will be the jokes and memes. At this point, he is a joke himself.

"To feel sadness is to live, but as long as you are alive, the future is a blank page." -Merlon, 2007

Go check out my hack!
http://kuribo64.net/board/thread.php?id=3122

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 06-02-17 05:15 PM Link | #83501
At the expense of everyone, especially (and I say especially) of his supporters. Very sad, I don't like seeing them lose their health coverage as ideologically opposed I am to them.

StapleButter
Posted on 06-02-17 05:27 PM (rev. 2 of 06-02-17 05:29 PM) Link | #83505
I'm tempted to think they didn't actually mean for Trump to get elected

like, he was just the far-Right scarecrow they used to scare people into voting for Clinton, but it didn't work

but now they can all point fingers at those who didn't vote, which is easier than questioning the very system that allowed all this to happen

wouldn't really surprise me as it worked similarly in France

communism

Marionumber1
Posted on 06-02-17 06:34 PM (rev. 2 of 06-02-17 06:34 PM) Link | #83508
Posted by StapleButter
I'm tempted to think they didn't actually mean for Trump to get elected

like, he was just the far-Right scarecrow they used to scare people into voting for Clinton, but it didn't work

but now they can all point fingers at those who didn't vote, which is easier than questioning the very system that allowed all this to happen

wouldn't really surprise me as it worked similarly in France

Yeah, Trump was purposefully boosted by Hillary as a "pied-piper candidate" so that the Republicans would be easier to beat in the general. I did expect the political and corporate elite to favor Hillary over Trump. However, it turns out that the elections were electronically rigged in Trump's favor, meaning that Trump was ultimately the elites' choice after all.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 06-02-17 09:07 PM Link | #83513
Trump does have the wealthiest cabinet in history.

Which is why I call bull on those who think he topples over the elites and the establishment and is like Andrew Jackson. He's not. He may be a political outsider, but aside from that, he's just like one of them, except more crude and extreme.

Marionumber1
Posted on 06-02-17 09:19 PM Link | #83515
Posted by LeftyGreenMario
Trump does have the wealthiest cabinet in history.

Which is why I call bull on those who think he topples over the elites and the establishment and is like Andrew Jackson. He's not. He may be a political outsider, but aside from that, he's just like one of them, except more crude and extreme.

While it was always blatantly false to consider Trump an outsider, there was a potential reason for the elites to favor Hillary instead: Trump lacks the traditional refinement that most presidents have. Every president since Jimmy Carter has been subservient to corporations and the deep state, pushing an agenda of trickle-down and endless war, but it rarely looked like a carnival of looting until Trump came along. Most presidents have maintained a respectable image while in reality pushing many of the same policies that Trump favors.

People who miss the "classiness" of Obama forget that he had a cabinet chosen by Citigroup, signed away our pivotal chance at single-payer healthcare in favor of Romneycare, and is a war criminal in the same vein as Bush and Cheney. The left largely went to sleep under Obama and ignored all of his flaws. The same would have happened under Hillary Clinton. Trump is keeping the people awake, which to some degree, is bad for the elites.

But there's another angle as well: Hillary was bad enough to unite the anti-establishment left and right against her. That kind of unity would have also been a threat to the elites' power. So letting Trump win, which would dupe the anti-establishment right into thinking they had elected an outsider and drive the anti-establishment left away, was also a strategic move.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 06-02-17 09:21 PM Link | #83516
Posted by Marionumber1
signed away our pivotal chance at single-payer healthcare in favor of Romneycare,

But wouldn't pushing it otherwise would be political suicide? The Republicans think the current healthcare goes too far and that's when it's been compromised.

Marionumber1
Posted on 06-02-17 09:24 PM Link | #83519
Posted by LeftyGreenMario
But wouldn't pushing it otherwise would be political suicide? The Republicans think the current healthcare goes too far and that's when it's been compromised.

This was at the beginning of Obama's first term, when the Democrats had a 60 vote filibuster-proof majority. If there was any time they didn't have to worry about Republican screeching, it was then. And Obama didn't even consider single-payer: it was taken off the table immediately. The same thing occurred for the public option - it was silently killed in negotiations, and despite actually passing the House, never passed the Senate and was eventually removed. For Obama, true healthcare reform (rather than a corporate handout with a minor sprinkling of good aspects) was never a goal.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 06-02-17 09:26 PM Link | #83521
Pfft, I think Obama's right when he said that Nixon's more liberal than him.

We need more people like Bernie and less right-centrists who think they're liberal.

Marionumber1
Posted on 06-02-17 09:31 PM Link | #83522
That's my point, though: Democrats can get away with acting like Republicans and never be held accountable by the left. If Hillary was elected, we probably wouldn't have pulled out of the Paris agreement, but she'd still be supporting fracking, pipelines, and expanded oil drilling. We'd also have gone to war with Syria at least as aggressively as Trump did, if not more so. And the Democrats would not care at all. They'd be asleep.
Pages: 1 2

Main - Serious discussion - Donald Trump has crossed the line. New reply

Page rendered in 0.023 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 28, rows: 214/214, time: 0.014 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2018-07-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.