Kuribo64
Views: 7,294,813 Home | Forums | Uploader | Wiki | Object databases | IRC
Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
08-17-17 05:43 AM
Guest:

0 users reading Fake News. Aka, the next generation censorship | 2 bots

Main - Serious discussion - Fake News. Aka, the next generation censorship New reply

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yami
Posted on 01-10-17 07:22 AM Link | #80867
RT is Kremlin funded, not controlled, just like the BBC is being funded by the British government, and not controlled by it.

But in the West, the general rule of thumb is: If a news source criticises the American government, it's automatically "Russian propaganda".
It's sad, but it's just the way it works over in the West...

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 01-12-17 05:57 PM Link | #80885
I don't think that's correct.

But there's a bigger issue here. People like to simplify the problems as liberal problems and as long as problems and liberals exist, we can just blame the liberals and immigrants. I hate that. And don't get me started on how conservatives are also treated like that. We just need to get along and respect each others' beliefs rather automatically making so many assumptions about people.

Marionumber1
Posted on 01-12-17 06:16 PM Link | #80886
Left and right are being pitted against each other, as the corporate elite continues to extract more wealth out of the economy and keep us in perpetual war. You have the left demonizing all Trump supporters as racist hicks, and the right attacking the "PC" and "SJW" culture of liberals. These culture wars are distracting us from the larger issues of democratic integrity, economic injustice, and foreign policy disasters. Not to say that social issues are completely irrelevant, but the elites would rather we fight over those issues than standing together against them.

StapleButter
Posted on 01-12-17 06:23 PM Link | #80887
divide to conquer. simple.

just like when official media cover protests: you get the 'good' protesters who stay within the law and the 'bad' protesters who 'infiltrate protests to cause shit'.

this shit has worked so well in France that union protests are locked-in and guarded by 'order services' that act like a secondary police. this has caused actual protesters to stray away from unions and their protests, form their own groups (the black bloc) ahead of the 'official' protest, and even start their own protests without unions or permission.

<SmithJrBlaquaLuigi> Now look, I am not going to make fun of you, but I would like to advise you to kiss my foot.
<SmithJrBlaquaLuigi> I would like to advise you to kiss my butt
<SmithJrBlaquaLuigi> I would like to advise you to suck my dick

SGC
Posted on 01-13-17 03:04 PM Link | #80912
Honestly, I tend to view the Mainstream Media as incompetent, paranoid, and insecure, I view companies like Microsoft in that light, as well.

Mainstream Media has gotten so desperate in the US, and pretty much everywhere else, that they've resorted to making false claims like these, and they have before.
I view this as their latest scheme to gain attention, and possibly trick people into trusting them more.

They can only point at one thing like Russia for so long, before I start to raise questions honestly, and it's quite easy to see how how messy things start to get after so many false claims, like everything just doesn't add up like it should, and I'm glad a lot of people actually fact check their news, and see things like this.

This truly is a sad world where most big companies lie, and cheat their way to the top, instead of taking any actual effort, and the people are the ones suffering from it.
Everyday we get robbed of our privacy, and other basic human rights, just because someone wants to look good, or make money, it's truly disgusting.

I remember when Microsoft made those false claims about Edge consuming less power than Chrome, and FireFox, and this reminds me a lot of that.

Baby Luigi
Posted on 01-21-17 12:38 PM Link | #81025
Ok, what I hate currently is that people are adopting this term as a buzzword for any piece of news they disagree with, or at least don't understand. Global warming is real? Fake news! Vaccines don't cause autism? Fake news! It's all gotta be fake news! Everything is fake news! Think for yourselves and ignore mounds of evidence.

Marionumber1
Posted on 01-21-17 01:29 PM Link | #81026
Posted by Baby Luigi
Ok, what I hate currently is that people are adopting this term as a buzzword for any piece of news they disagree with, or at least don't understand. Global warming is real? Fake news! Vaccines don't cause autism? Fake news! It's all gotta be fake news! Everything is fake news! Think for yourselves and ignore mounds of evidence.

They're only doing exactly what the mainstream media has already been doing, classifying sources that challenge their corporate viewpoint as fake propaganda (often from Russia).

StapleButter
Posted on 01-23-17 05:51 PM Link | #81064
could as well be what I read somewhere. the goal wouldn't be to make people believe one thing or another, but to fatigue them. by constantly flooding them with all sorts of crap, fake or not, they would regard the truth as "too complex to know or worry about" and stop caring about politics entirely.

<SmithJrBlaquaLuigi> Now look, I am not going to make fun of you, but I would like to advise you to kiss my foot.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 01-23-17 06:00 PM Link | #81066
It's not fake news anymore

It's alternative facts

This is troubling since that's spouting from someone who's supposed to defend Sean "Period." Spicer.

This Spicer guy's fortunately becoming a laughingstock, but it troubles me how these people shamelessly lie. If people can't trust them, why trust government? Government is supposed to help us. It's the best way of helping us. But these government people are a joke.

Marionumber1
Posted on 01-23-17 06:26 PM Link | #81068
They've been shameless liars for quite a while. Trump's administration is just more obvious about it.

StapleButter
Posted on 01-23-17 06:31 PM Link | #81070
the government isn't here to help you. the government is mostly the interface between the people and the capitalists.

a good government limits unrest by finding the best compromise between the two parties whose interests are opposed. except the survival of a capitalist system that works worse and worse, requires leaning more and more towards the side of the capitalists.

since doing so causes increased unrest from the people, the only solution to maintain the system in place is force.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 01-23-17 06:44 PM Link | #81072
Posted by Marionumber1
They've been shameless liars for quite a while. Trump's administration is just more obvious about it.

Yeah, I was referring to how blatantly shameless they are. Trump is difference because the extent is so much more obvious.

Posted by StapleButter
the government isn't here to help you. the government is mostly the interface between the people and the capitalists.

a good government limits unrest by finding the best compromise between the two parties whose interests are opposed. except the survival of a capitalist system that works worse and worse, requires leaning more and more towards the side of the capitalists.

since doing so causes increased unrest from the people, the only solution to maintain the system in place is force.

I think the only way those who screw with the system can be persecuted is by the government. It's just a problem that it's run by a lot of those who screw with the system, but not entirely....

Yami
Posted on 01-24-17 12:42 AM Link | #81079
Governments are actually more like a tool for bankers to make laws that benefit only them.
There might be some good stuff for the people, but it's really just a little portion.

Marionumber1
Posted on 01-24-17 06:56 AM Link | #81080
Posted by Yami
Governments are actually more like a tool for bankers to make laws that benefit only them.
There might be some good stuff for the people, but it's really just a little portion.

Well, that's how it's been corrupted. It doesn't always work like that: take the US presidency of FDR, for instance, which did successfully reign in corporate power. The unfortunate problem is that it only took 40 years of decline for the bankers and industrialists to largely undo his work. But eliminating government, one of the only ways to keep their power in check, would make things worse. The elite want a limited government that doesn't regulate them, doesn't help the people, and solely protects their profits. For that, they try to make people hate government as a concept.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 01-25-17 06:25 PM Link | #81092
I know governments can be rigged, flawed, and corrupted, but they're our best hope. So far, they're the only thing powerful enough to persecute the banksters, but the worst they've got is a slap on the wrist. The Supreme Court has ordered a lot of banks to pay record fines, which is pretty much nothing compared to their profits, but it's still something.

StapleButter
Posted on 01-25-17 06:45 PM Link | #81093
saying the government is our best hope is a bit like saying a rapist is the best hope for feminist militancy

I mean, sure, they're supposed to represent, if not the helper and protector of the people, atleast the authority, but they have showed multiple times that they are unwilling to serve the interests of the people. and Trump isn't going to make it better. should we keep relying on that shit if we want shit done?

the government is also far from having all the power. what power does it have against big oil? when you control the oil prices, you basically control the world.

I am a strong believer that if the people want something, they need to do it themselves.

waiting for governments to fix global warming will, at best, lead to more years of lies and greenwashing running rampant, until they declare that "global warming is inevitable". there are already people spouting that kind of bullshit. so what's that supposed to mean, that fuck it, we're screwed, we might as well finish killing Earth and hope the rich can make it to a Mars colony until another viable planet is found?

(and at worst, using force to shut up anyone who talks about global warming. ie Trump)

fuck. that. shit.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 02-09-17 03:16 PM Link | #81301
I guess so, according to conflict theory, which does sound like something you subscribe to. It feels hopeless that the rich have everything and there's really nothing we can do about it. I'm very resentful of those people since they can't really share their resources. And it's not like they can't; the richest 1% own like 30% of all the resources in this planet. But it's human nature, they don't want to share.

StapleButter
Posted on 02-09-17 07:25 PM Link | #81305
greed, accumulation, constant desire of more. capitalism.

Spacey
Posted on 02-10-17 05:02 PM Link | #81313
no private property, authoritarianism, constant desire to fuck the working class silly. communism. inb4 "not real communism", the no u argument of polotics.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 02-10-17 05:04 PM Link | #81314
Communism was intended to dismantle social classes if I recall correctly. So it's funny that during communist regimes, poor people remained poor and suffering. But anyhow, why did you bring that up? Is it some counter to capitalism, because people don't normally bring up communism unless it's to criticize arguments that criticize capitalism.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Main - Serious discussion - Fake News. Aka, the next generation censorship New reply

Page rendered in 0.112 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 28, rows: 231/231, time: 0.055 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2015-10-07)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.