05-22-18 07:27 PM
Guest:

0 users reading What are your beliefs? | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Marionumber1
Posted on 08-31-16 04:59 PM Link | #76721
Posted by StapleButter
why would life be "nothing at all, then at a random point you're born, then you die, then nothing at all forever"? that'd be boring

That the universe would be constructed to minimize boringness assumes an intelligent designer in the first place.

Baby Luigi
Posted on 08-31-16 08:31 PM Link | #76731
Posted by Thierry
Now, what about spirits? Do they exist? Can they interact with anything? Do they hold human form?
I don't think they would be able to control thier movement, and just drift away forever. But what would be the point? Also, gravity probably wouldn't affect them.

If spirits exist, then, surely, with our advanced technology, we would have detected them by now?

StapleButter
Posted on 08-31-16 08:38 PM Link | #76733
'advanced' is all relative. surely people thought their technology was advanced when they figured out how to work metals.

ETs are supposedly able to instantly disappear or teleport, and generally move easily, atleast those who are sighted near Earth. we're still stuck with rockets that need huge amounts of energy to just leave Earth, that's pretty prehistoric in comparison.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

Baby Luigi
Posted on 08-31-16 08:49 PM Link | #76734
Do ET's even exist? Because what you're saying sounds like tropes from science-fiction.

We still understand stuff more than we ever did, though. Stuff like spirits and ghosts are nonfalisfiable and cannot be detected in any manner. The most minute things, like neutrinos, can still be detected. Spirits leave virtually no trace at all.

Same deal with why we think traveling at the speed of light is nigh impossible. You basically have to completely overhaul our understanding of physics if we ever want to travel faster than the speed of light.

Isaac
Posted on 08-31-16 09:17 PM Link | #76735
Well wasnt there news like just now that some of our biggest satellites like the ones from WV picked up some sort of radio waves like 4.27 light-years away?
jeez, I don't know what to put here now.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 08-31-16 10:08 PM Link | #76737
Would be nice if you had a link for that...

Isaac
Posted on 08-31-16 10:54 PM Link | #76743
forgot which site it was on.

either this one:
http://www.cnn.com/studentnews
or this one:
https://www.channelone.com/

salty
Posted on 08-31-16 11:15 PM Link | #76745
channel one is fucking lit

Yami
Posted on 09-01-16 01:29 AM Link | #76749
Posted by Baby Luigi
If spirits exist, then, surely, with our advanced technology, we would have detected them by now?

It's funny that we're so advanced now, we still can't figure out how to build Pyramids, like the people did thousands of years ago...

StapleButter
Posted on 09-01-16 06:44 AM Link | #76756
Posted by Baby Luigi
Do ET's even exist? Because what you're saying sounds like tropes from science-fiction.

We still understand stuff more than we ever did, though. Stuff like spirits and ghosts are nonfalisfiable and cannot be detected in any manner. The most minute things, like neutrinos, can still be detected. Spirits leave virtually no trace at all.

Same deal with why we think traveling at the speed of light is nigh impossible. You basically have to completely overhaul our understanding of physics if we ever want to travel faster than the speed of light.

of course they exist. the universe is so big, you can't seriously believe that Earth is the only planet that fosters life. there have also been many people witnessing UFOs and other crap -- of course, a lot of it is fake, but a lot of it is also very serious. governments try to hide that because many people would freak out at the mere idea of extraterrestrial life (how advanced is their technology? presumably moreso than ours. are they evil? would they be able to destroy us? would they enslave us for their own good? etc), but I'm firmly convinced that believing otherwise is absurd.

as for the rest, yeah. we must be missing out on a lot regarding physics.

Posted by Yami
It's funny that we're so advanced now, we still can't figure out how to build Pyramids, like the people did thousands of years ago...

there's that kind of shit too.

there was also those ruins of an ancient city they found. they found out that it had been... nuked. a nuclear bomb, 8000 years ago or more. the first ones that we have made were 71 years ago.

there's a lot of other puzzling anachronic shit that has been discovered too. and things that are speculated, like the Bagdad batteries (jars that could have been used as batteries), or theories that the Great Pyramid in Egypt could have been an emitter of sorts...

we're missing out a lot on history. extraterrestrials helping humans with their technology? history repeating itself?

hard to tell. anything those ancient men observed that they couldn't explain was attributed to gods...

Hiccup
Posted on 09-01-16 07:32 AM Link | #76757
Posted by Yami

We know how to build Pyramids, we just don't know how the Egyptians built theirs, because it was, you know, in the far past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid_construction_techniques

Isaac
Posted on 09-01-16 10:46 PM Link | #76789
Posted by salty
channel one is fucking lit

what does that mean?
one of my friends dad called them to tell them to stop talking about how terrible Trump is.
So stupid..

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-01-16 11:38 PM Link | #76794
What is with this UFO crap, lol? The vast majority of the evidence for UFO sightings are either crap or truly unidentified; none of them point to extra-terrestrial technology flying above us.

I don't believe in government cover-up of alien stuff because that stuff would be spectacularly hard to cover up.

MercuryPenny
Posted on 09-02-16 12:00 AM Link | #76797
ye that post kinda went from "there's most likely extraterrestrial life" to "omg conspiracy government coverups area 51" pretty fast and left me wondering if you were being ironic

send me your terrible userbars and such to advertize in my footer ;^)
[image]

youtube i never use

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL THESE CRAWLS THEY WILL NOT CRAWL

StapleButter
Posted on 09-02-16 04:15 AM Link | #76801
I'm not being ironic. I could very well imagine why governments would try to hide these facts to the public. it's not a conspiracy theory. it's not "WE NEVER WENT TO THE MOON!!!!!! USA DEMOLISHED THE WTC TOWERS!!!!!!!".

'UFO crap lol' as you say it, has a lot of fake crap, but also some very serious testimonies, coming from people like army pilots who experienced sightings or other abnormal things. or some collective sightings.

I have yet to see any of that, but... can't say it's 100% fake.

Hiccup
Posted on 09-02-16 05:46 AM Link | #76802
serious testimonies by professionals can still be lies, or they could mistaken what they saw.

StapleButter
Posted on 09-02-16 05:49 AM Link | #76803
of course.

at that rate, nothing is proven. maybe extraterrestrial life doesn't actually have UFOs or teleporting technology, but it's certain that they exist though.

Hiccup
Posted on 09-02-16 07:18 AM Link | #76804
its not certain. but as far as we know, it may be possible because of the size of the universe.

SuperMario64DS
Posted on 09-11-16 05:42 PM (rev. 5 of 09-11-16 05:52 PM) Link | #77137
Posted by Baby Luigi

I think the whole idea of "spirits" is that they exist beyond our physical world - it's too narrow minded to presume that our universe is all that there is and all that will ever be.

That's why I'm always flabbergasted that evolution boils down to "it's always existed", and is presented as the "smart" alternative to intelligent design. Both assume something has always existed (God, the material of the universe), and so both take a great deal of faith. I'd figure something with a mind composed such an elaborate system.

We can not understand how something (God) can exist without being created itself because our universe is limited - it cannot exist without a creator - and therefore the notion that everything had always existed or somehow created itself is illogical. The understanding is there, but it's just not possible to understand within a finite universe (something that was created) which is where faith comes in. The very fact that spontaneous generation is impossible means by the laws of our universe - everything we understand - means we cannot make a conclusion on the existence of creation or reality. This is where the idea of faith comes in. You believe in something, whether the opposing side offers morals you'd rather not exchange, or you've actually tried to establish a relationship with the transcending Creator of the Universe (and therefore you know what is true to be true - by faith).

To disregard the existence of God because He cannot have a creator is to disregard the idea that the Universe had always existed: you cannot believe exclusively in evolution on that basis.

As I said, I'd figure something with a mind composed such an elaborate system, and that, given the very existence and laws of our universe, nothing cannot create something.

---

On that basis, Evolution throws itself out the door. It attempts to find a logical explanation for life, within our universe, but relies on an illogical basis. It's not a solid contender, and all we're left with is an intelligent design.

StapleButter
Posted on 09-11-16 05:54 PM Link | #77139
chicken-and-egg problem, pretty much.

who knows.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Page rendered in 0.042 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 28, rows: 230/230, time: 0.026 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.