Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
What choice, Liberalism, Conservatism or some other Ideology
Liberalism
40.9% (9)
Conservatism
27.3% (6)
Other (choose this and then explain)
31.8% (7)
Multiple voting is not allowed. Changing your vote is allowed. 22 users have voted so far.

Swingball
Posted on 08-25-17 03:41 PM Link | #87192
Do you think a Linux-like government could work in the US? Or direct democracy? Maybe?

poudink
Posted on 08-25-17 03:47 PM Link | #87193
A Linux-like government?

[insert quote here]

Swingball
Posted on 08-25-17 03:55 PM Link | #87194
Y'know a government that still has issues, but gives you freedom to flexibly customize your lifestyle.

poudink
Posted on 08-25-17 03:58 PM Link | #87195
That's pretty much what we already have, then.

[insert quote here]

DoubleYoshiExploshi
Posted on 08-25-17 04:25 PM Link | #87197
Posted by Swingball
Y'know a government that still has issues, but gives you freedom to flexibly customize your lifestyle.

That sounds like every single developed country in the world.

A government with elements of direct democracy like Switzerland would be nice, but I don't think complete direct democracy would work.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-25-17 04:27 PM Link | #87198
Direct democracy gets harder the larger the scale is. It would have to be applied to small scales, towns or even districts.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

Swingball
Posted on 08-25-17 09:49 PM Link | #87227
Posted by DoubleYoshiExploshi
That sounds like every single developed country in the world.
Well the USA is developed isn't it?

DoubleYoshiExploshi
Posted on 08-26-17 03:52 PM Link | #87256
Posted by Swingball
Well the USA is developed isn't it?

It is.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-02-17 04:09 PM (rev. 3 of 09-02-17 04:13 PM) Link | #87705
Posted by JakoNintenCraft
I lean to more of the conservative side, but TBH these two ideologies are both outdated and inefficient ways of thinking. Instead of people being forced into one or the other mindset, that dictates what is right and what is wrong, people need to think for themselves and make their own ideas about politics so that they can figure out what is right and wrong for themselves.

centrism isn't the best solution either, not always. moderate is a good stance but doesn't necessarily mean the best stance.

there are indeed cases where one side is blatantly wrong and the other side is correct. I point to global warming where the conservatives are completely wrong, the centrists are partially wrong, and the liberals are right. to be fair, global warming isn't supposed to be politicized, but it is, so so be it.

I'm strictly left-wing (liberal by U.S. standards but I align strictly with left-wing parties in Europe) and I disagree with every conservative viewpoint. In the U.S. I consider conservatism there a fucking joke. It's hard to take that political alignment seriously when so many people associated with conservatism make disgusting arguments like "the poor/people on welfare are lazy exploiters", homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, "ur killing unborn children" (pro-life is not a horrid stance in of itself but I hate the demonization of those who want to practice abortion), oppose sex ed, and other overall terrible things. There has to be more to conservatism than this.

Swingball
Posted on 09-02-17 09:27 PM Link | #87714
Should we get rid of the representation system or revise it?

Marionumber1
Posted on 09-03-17 09:48 AM Link | #87736
Posted by Swingball
Should we get rid of the representation system or revise it?

I believe we should keep it, and the first thing we need to revise is how the votes are counted. Currently, we have no assurances that our "representatives" were actually elected, and there's evidence that many supposed election victories (Bush in 2000 and 2004, GOP takeovers of Congress in 2010 and 2014, Hillary in the 2016 Dem primaries, Trump in 2016) were the result of fraud.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-14-17 06:16 PM Link | #88400
I still think the electoral college in its current state is a huge disservice to our country.

It sucks for the California Republicans, it sucks for the Texan Democrats. They may as well not vote because, due to the dark coloration of their state, their vote means precisely 0, nothing. Not rounded down, not fractions, ZERO. The electoral college also encourages gerrymandering (though it's not unique to US as France has gerrymandering issues too I think) and also campaigning only on swing states. There is also that BS where California voters have some of the worst voting power even though California is the most populous state and is therefore has the biggest share of U.S. population and therefore should be the most representative of voters.

Baby Luigi
Posted on 09-15-17 03:04 PM Link | #88431
I'm a staunch liberal. Hard left, and I take the strongest stances on science issues like global warming, vaccination, genetically modified organisms, etc.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-17-17 03:18 PM Link | #88604
You'd actually probably be just left. When I think hard left, I think of moobats like anti-GMO, "natural" lifestyle, pro organic food, anti-vaxxer, PETA, loony "animal rights" activists, etc.

I think you may be either simply left or even moderate left (but not centrist) and I think I fall more on the left than you.

Baby Luigi
Posted on 09-17-17 03:22 PM Link | #88608
I've always thought the usage of the term "hard" to describe your political affiliation just means that all of your views are strictly on the left end, not center or even close to the right side of the spectrum, and that my views aren't subject to gravitate towards the other side any time soon because frankly, I think most of the right's views are completely bollocks, especially on matters where science is required to understand it, like abortion, gmo, and global warmings (vaccinations aren't included mostly because it has loonies on equal sides of the spectrum). Never really thought of it as an extremist view.

Swingball
Posted on 09-17-17 05:18 PM (rev. 2 of 09-17-17 05:18 PM) Link | #88674
Why don't we all just agree with what's universally right and believe everything else that you want to or not?

Baby Luigi
Posted on 09-17-17 06:31 PM Link | #88676
Reality doesn't really work that way, that's why. People have different views of what's considered "right" or not. For example, the pissy anti-vaxxers think they're doing the population a favor when they actually support killing vulnerable people who couldn't get shots and the resurgence of previously dead diseases.

Marionumber1
Posted on 09-17-17 07:01 PM Link | #88678
Posted by LeftyGreenMario
You'd actually probably be just left. When I think hard left, I think of moobats like anti-GMO, "natural" lifestyle, pro organic food, anti-vaxxer, PETA, loony "animal rights" activists, etc.

I have an unfortunate number of left-wing friends on Facebook who are like that: anti-GMO, anti-vax, or shaming people who aren't vegans (sometimes all three at once). Even worse, one of them actually thinks that global warming has been exaggerated, believing in discredited nonsense like Climategate. Other than that, I find their political views almost completely agreeable. It's quite strange.

StapleButter
Posted on 09-17-17 07:04 PM Link | #88679
oh god vegan extremists

don't get me started

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

NokNokShell
Posted on 09-18-17 12:56 PM Link | #88729
I choose Libertian (from Liberland) liberalism. The best political option in the world.

Main - Serious discussion - Liberalism vs. Conservatism New reply

Page rendered in 0.048 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 28, rows: 233/233, time: 0.031 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.