Views: 8,818,963 Home | Forums | Uploader | Wiki | Object databases | IRC
Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
10-18-18 08:23 PM
Guest:

0 users reading CNN blackmails some kid on Reddit for making fun of them. | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - CNN blackmails some kid on Reddit for making fun of them. New reply

XenonNSMB
Posted on 07-05-17 08:06 PM Link | #84358
What is wrong with these guys? http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

• Nadia: makes her BQFX file an AJ7
• SuperHackio: questions what that is
<~StapleButter> the AJ7 is an automatic rifle model based on the well-known AK47

poudink
Posted on 07-05-17 09:09 PM Link | #84359
Wow... That's pretty fucked up. And I mean, it was a very obvious troll, no need to blackmail him for that!

[insert quote here]

Tierage
Posted on 07-05-17 10:50 PM Link | #84360
Yeah, this just crosses the line for me, I can't really accept CNN at all for doing this. They are literally threatening to dox someone.

If anything though the guy is kinda fucked up (warning: offensive)
He's the typical troll obviously but what CNN is doing really takes the cake.

...Yourself

Gimzie
Posted on 07-06-17 12:42 AM Link | #84362
Sounds like CNN isn't following the "Don't feed the trolls." rule.

Yami
Posted on 07-08-17 02:40 PM Link | #84419

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 07-09-17 12:41 AM (rev. 3 of 07-09-17 12:44 AM) Link | #84427
Nice twisting of words around to spin as if the person who promoted violent, racist, and anti-Semitic imagery is the victim here.

You guys think CNN should just ignore that the GIF is inciting others to support violence against the CNN cast?

On Reddit, "HanA**holeSolo" took credit for inspiring the tweet. Soon after, "HanA**holeSolo's" other posts on Reddit, some of which included racist and anti-Semitic imagery, quickly circulated on social media.

Now the user is apologizing, writing in a lengthy post on Reddit that he does not advocate violence against the press and expressing remorse there and in an interview with CNN for other posts he made that were racist and anti-Semitic.

This not just "trolling" and regardless of what CNN does, this isn't acceptable. I don't sympathize with this "kid on Reddit" though has shown regret and accepted responsibility.

CNN has standards too. Seriously, if some people acted upon this post in Reddit, this person will be responsible.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

Yami
Posted on 07-09-17 02:12 AM Link | #84431
Promotion of violence, racism, and anti-Semitic imagery is indeed a bad thing, I can only agree with you on that part.
But you're missing out on the main point, which is that CNN blackmails the Reddit user for that, which is equally bad, or even worse than that.

Yes, the maker of that GIF shouldn't make CNN look bad (making brands look bad is a crime here in Japan, I'm not sure about the USA), but same goes to CNN threatening the GIF maker.

This is what I meant by "double standards", along with the fact that CNN relies on so-called "anonymous sources" for more than a year now, and now they suddenly say nobody has the right to be anonymous...

GalacticPirate
Posted on 07-09-17 04:43 AM (rev. 2 of 07-09-17 04:52 AM) Link | #84432
CNN didn't threaten that user. They basically gave him what he deserved. It's not like they gave his real name, like some trash "media" did with the guy who stopped WannaCry and had to move out etc.
@Yami That's the right of journalism. Anonymous sources are the basis of journalism, and wthout them, democraties would be dictatorships. It's not the same as random guys trying to hide behind the Internet to spread hate.
Journalists do one of the most difficult jobs in the world, and have a strict moral code. I think they must be hurt that now everyone say they do bad things, want to spread fake news, are evil etc.

XenonNSMB
(post deleted) #84439

Yami
Posted on 07-09-17 04:07 PM Link | #84455
Posted by StarTrekVoyager
CNN didn't threaten that user. They basically gave him what he deserved. It's not like they gave his real name, like some trash "media" did with the guy who stopped WannaCry and had to move out etc.
@Yami That's the right of journalism. Anonymous sources are the basis of journalism, and wthout them, democraties would be dictatorships. It's not the same as random guys trying to hide behind the Internet to spread hate.
Journalists do one of the most difficult jobs in the world, and have a strict moral code. I think they must be hurt that now everyone say they do bad things, want to spread fake news, are evil etc.

Nice job literally quoting fake news outlets!
"Anonymous sources" is nothing more but an excuse, so they can blame someone or something, without the need to provide any evidence.
No, having no so-called "anonymous sources" does not make you into a dictatorship, that argument is totally baseless.

For example, the so-called "Russian meddling in US elections" bullshit.
For months they keep telling you there is evidence, but "it's highly confidential".
The only thing we can rely on, is how confident intelligence services are, which is not even evidence to begin with.

Even if it's "highly confidential", it would have been leaked already, because everything else has already been leaked, except for that one "Russian meddling" part.
Either that, or the officials went like "if you leak at least a single character of the evidence, you'll get a death penalty", or similar, but no matter how much I distrust any kind of authorities, I highly doubt anyone would go this far.

And no, he didn't get what he deserved.
How would you react if one day, you would make a GIF where a spinning Nintendo logo would read "Nintenshit" or something like that, and then Nintendo would try to figure out where you live, who you are, etc., and dump this all online for everyone to see, if you don't remove that GIF?

It has nothing to do with punishment, it has to do with blackmailing someone.

Marionumber1
Posted on 07-09-17 04:26 PM Link | #84456
Posted by Yami
For example, the so-called "Russian meddling in US elections" bullshit.
For months they keep telling you there is evidence, but "it's highly confidential".
The only thing we can rely on, is how confident intelligence services are, which is not even evidence to begin with.

And these mainstream sources keep publishing hysterical stories about Russia that often turn out to be entirely false, which are then silently walked back with few to no consequences for the authors. So I find StarTrekVoyager's claim that "[journalists] have a strict moral code" to be ludicrous. While good journalists do exist, far too many are willing to twist the facts or blatantly lie to suit the leading groupthink narrative.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 07-11-17 04:21 PM Link | #84532
Posted by Yami
And no, he didn't get what he deserved.
How would you react if one day, you would make a GIF where a spinning Nintendo logo would read "Nintenshit" or something like that, and then Nintendo would try to figure out where you live, who you are, etc., and dump this all online for everyone to see, if you don't remove that GIF?

It has nothing to do with punishment, it has to do with blackmailing someone.

It's not the criticism that CNN is having problem with, unlike how you spin it.

It's the personal attacks that are the huge problem, and coupled with the GIF, the context tells me it's a call for violence. I believe CNN had to get personal information from this person for security reasons since harassment is a very serious issue and this sort of behavior often leads to security problems like doxxing. I think it's reasonable that if this person goes too far again, he's going to face more severe consequences.

And the real problem is Donald Fucking Trump, he needs to be blamed here for making more of a mess through his goddamn Twitter that he won't leave alone and also being responsible for polarizing America and making people think it's okay to lead with anti-Semetic, racist, violent rhetoric against journalists.

Spacey
Posted on 07-20-17 07:27 AM Link | #84849
Posted by LeftyGreenMario
It's not the criticism that CNN is having problem with, unlike how you spin it.

It's the personal attacks that are the huge problem, and coupled with the GIF, the context tells me it's a call for violence. I believe CNN had to get personal information from this person for security reasons since harassment is a very serious issue and this sort of behavior often leads to security problems like doxxing. I think it's reasonable that if this person goes too far again, he's going to face more severe consequences.

And the real problem is Donald Fucking Trump, he needs to be blamed here for making more of a mess through his goddamn Twitter that he won't leave alone and also being responsible for polarizing America and making people think it's okay to lead with anti-Semetic, racist, violent rhetoric against journalists.

Sorry for the week old bump but allow me to poke the beehive for a second here. The problem isn't Donald Trump in this situation, it almost never was; he may as well be a bystander in this whole debacle as all he did was post a meme gif (which isn't calling for violence, don't call it that it just reflects badly on you, making you look extremely petty). Posting a meme is actually quite a good thing as it helps to humanize him, it shows that just like many joe schmo on the internet he likes to share a dank meme from time to time. Don't try to put this situation on the shoulders of Donald Trump when he did basically nothing but post a meme you were offended by.

However back to the matter at hand, CNN did blackmail the redditor and no matter which way you try to tilt and swerve to say he deserved it, or it was a good thing, you miss the fact that in principle it is a bad thing. This man could've kicked puppies and sucker punched pregnant women for all I care, the fact of the matter is that it is wrong for a million dollar corporation to aquire and threaten to release the personal information of a private citizen. Of course the redditor may not be the best person ever and a "nazi", but take a step back and think about the bigger picture. You can not put CNN in the right here without saying 'its ok for a corporation to blackmail a private citizen'.

Marionumber1
Posted on 07-20-17 10:18 AM Link | #84855
Posted by Spacey
Sorry for the week old bump but allow me to poke the beehive for a second here. The problem isn't Donald Trump in this situation, it almost never was; he may as well be a bystander in this whole debacle as all he did was post a meme gif (which isn't calling for violence, don't call it that it just reflects badly on you, making you look extremely petty). Posting a meme is actually quite a good thing as it helps to humanize him, it shows that just like many joe schmo on the internet he likes to share a dank meme from time to time. Don't try to put this situation on the shoulders of Donald Trump when he did basically nothing but post a meme you were offended by.

However back to the matter at hand, CNN did blackmail the redditor and no matter which way you try to tilt and swerve to say he deserved it, or it was a good thing, you miss the fact that in principle it is a bad thing. This man could've kicked puppies and sucker punched pregnant women for all I care, the fact of the matter is that it is wrong for a million dollar corporation to aquire and threaten to release the personal information of a private citizen. Of course the redditor may not be the best person ever and a "nazi", but take a step back and think about the bigger picture. You can not put CNN in the right here without saying 'its ok for a corporation to blackmail a private citizen'.

I agree; while the kid's views are reprehensible, it's not intellectually honest to say that his meme was inciting violence. And to imply that a massive media corporation is somehow the victim of an obvious joke by a teenage troll is even more ridiculous. How is it okay for corporations to use their power to threaten private citizens?

After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

People who call themselves liberal shouldn't be okay with corporations doing this kind of thing.

Main - Serious discussion - CNN blackmails some kid on Reddit for making fun of them. New reply

Page rendered in 0.024 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 26, rows: 215/215, time: 0.014 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2018-07-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.