Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
10-17-18 09:53 AM
Guest:

0 users reading Retrospective | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - Retrospective New reply

Pages: 1 2
StapleButter
Posted on 08-19-16 07:31 AM (rev. 2 of 08-19-16 07:32 AM) Link | #76287
MrRean's post inspired me a few things. I'm in the same situation, finding less interest into hacking and coding, and more desire for IRL things. The internet is less fulfilling to me than it was a few years ago. The places I go to getting less active, me growing up, it's a mix of all that.

I want to talk about RVLution. I don't want to drag RVL drama here, but this is the most appropriate place to go on about this. You can skip this part if you want.

Posted by MrRean
I lash out in anger at the dumbest shit and I end up regretting it later, but I usually don't apologies publicly (I usually do it in private) because I would be viewed as "weak" and "fragile" and "easy to manipulate".

I'm the same.

It was particularly evident lately. There was that thread at RVLution I had opened so people could get clarifications about staff decisions and such. Obviously, it was a mistake. A certain group abused the thread to basically complain about anything. They didn't care about giving a good example or improving the board, they complained for the sake of complaining. For example, I would say things about a user in a IRC conversation, they would take my lines out of their context to shove them in my face and implicitly demand an apology.

Even if I knew I wasn't all clean, I never wanted to apologize or admit it. I felt that it would be giving them a free ticket to basically run the board by proxy (want something done? complain until the admin gives in).

I eventually got sick of it, and closed that thread. Obviously, they perceived it as an attempt to silence opposition, and started agitating themselves.

This is where I overreacted and started banning them.

We have been giving too much importance to a little group of complainers. The loudest complainers were users who were banned from the board for various good reasons.

RoadrunnerWMC figured that the best response to this would be backstabbing me, unleashing drama on the board and giving more importance to the complainers than is healthy. Backstabbing because he doesn't own the board and didn't have more authority than me. We were on the same rank and were supposed to be a team, but obviously, it wasn't the case. Anyway, I consider that me using backdoors to mess with the board as a retaliation was fair game -- you get fired by your boss, not by your colleague.

Aaron eventually sealed the deal. Had the demotion come from him, there would have been no problems, I would have had no choice but to accept it.

Generally speaking, I'm not all clean with RVLution, far from it. Before RVLution III, I had left with a big rant against the community. I eventually came back mostly to troll the board (for example, running fake admin elections to hint at the lack of true management). I deserved the ban.

But eventually, RVLution III sparked from this, with the "elite four" admins -- RoadrunnerWMC, Grop, MrRean, me. We tried to get the board somewhere... and failed. I'm not going into details, but management of that board has always been a giant joke.

And generally too much drama. In comparison, Kuribo64 is all nice -- the regulars are content with the way the board is run, or atleast I get no major complaints. And there's no drastic difference (other than having server access).

Then I kept adminning RVLution without much faith in it, only because it gave me something to do.

Aside from the aforementioned story, every time I was involved in RVLution drama, there was a stupid staff decision involved too. The management has always been a clown car. Just look at things like having to move the #rvlution channel to another server because of megazig. I could go on for hours about RVLution and its management, but we'll stop here.

Anyway, we're getting to what I wanted to talk about.

Then I kept adminning RVLution without much faith in it, only because it gave me something to do.

That say something?

"get a life"

Pretty much. As I said, the internet's less fulfilling. I have lost a lot of my energy and will to start projects. blargSNES is my most successful one, and probably my last one.

There's another reason to that, quoting from Jul:
I also always want to fill niches with my projects. It doesn't end well. When the niche is all new, someone else fills it before me because I lack the willpower to get a project going in time. There are older niches to fill, but generally any work in these domains gets very little interest. Working on something noone cares about gets me tired quick.

For example, I could port blargSNES to the raspi. But I have a feel of 'why bother?'. I mean, you can probably just compile Snes9x and that'll be good enough for most people. The blargSNES emulation core is still inferior to those popular emulators; the main benefit of blargSNES was being able to run on a 3DS at acceptable speeds, and by running it on a more powerful platform you take that benefit away. Hell, even on the New3DS there's no advantage to using blargSNES over other emulators.

I don't like working on projects "for the sake of it". I feel that they'll end up being toys, that you play with for a couple days and then you let them rot and forget about them. I always want my projects to serve a purpose, and ideally fill a good niche.

I also want to socialize-- from spending all my high school time (2008-2011) being the lonely dork, I missed out.

Back then, the internet felt more fulfilling. More activity. The little circlejerk with Nina and jceggbert5. Making silly boards and other PHP gadgets like an editable signature. Discussing whatever.

A lot of this has died out. Social networks have also changed the way we use the internet -- more to show off your life and less to make friends. The selfie trend is the pinnacle of this.

I'm basically left with IRC channels that are inactive most of the time I'm in them, boards that aren't that active either, no will to start projects or work on them, leaving me rather bored throughout the day. It's time to change this.

communism

PaperplateismGuy
Posted on 08-19-16 04:52 PM Link | #76304
So what does this mean for Kuribo64? Do you think you'll close it?

StapleButter
Posted on 08-19-16 04:54 PM Link | #76305
Nah, it'll keep going as long as it's active. I may check in less often, though.

communism

Yami
Posted on 08-20-16 06:30 PM Link | #76343
That also means that the last active Admin on NSMBHD will be less active there.
G'Luck, both of you.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-20-16 06:30 PM Link | #76345
NSMBHD doesn't warrant a lot of adminning tbh

communism

SGC
Posted on 08-20-16 06:39 PM Link | #76347
I honestly thing having a board with no active admins is bad thing, anything could happen.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-20-16 06:41 PM Link | #76348
tell it to dirbaio. not like I can't do much, I don't own the board and don't have server access.

communism

Yami
Posted on 08-20-16 09:44 PM Link | #76356
Well, G'Luck talking to someone who only gets Online once in a big while...

StapleButter
Posted on 08-21-16 06:19 AM Link | #76361
pester him. never stop. poke him daily or so. eventually he will respond.

communism

StapleButter
Posted on 08-21-16 01:26 PM Link | #76367
Anyway, I like how people say I "love to be in power and to abuse it". As if I banned people for my sole pleasure.

These days, I'd rather stay away from power, it makes things simpler and nicer. Although honestly power is convenient for me -- when a derp comes in, I always want to smack him myself. But I'd get called out for backseat modding.

In the past, I have wanted to be responsible, help ROM hacking scenes move forward. None of my attempts went really far -- SMG2.5 (that's why this board exists), MKDSCentral, RVLution...

I have learnt that attempting that is pointless when you don't have true interest (not my typical "hey let's do this" spark that vanishes after a while, but true interest and dedication into the scene).

I have experience in programming and administration, but that isn't enough to really take a scene somewhere. My role would be closer to that of the sysadmin, keeping the server and board running, doing some moderation and administration... This was the role I occupied at RVLution. But eventually I had no faith in the community and staff anymore, and did things I normally wouldn't do, "for the sake of it", because I didn't care about running it into the ground. I would happily take part in the same kind of role in a community that is actually going forward. RVLution isn't that. 2010 is gone.

At the same time, everyday chatter with a nice group of regulars is nice too, and generally drama-free. Administration is nice, I like helping scenes and communities, but it's surrounded by its lot of drama. You will find yourself banning users who are stuck-up shitheads and contest a ban they deserved. It's all a matter of point of view though-- in their point of view, they were unfairly banned. What matters is how legit their point of view is vs. yours. But some users really deserved their ban. Some users are willing to go to great extents to contest their ban or merely retaliate. Coming back to the board, trying to undermine the admin's credibility, spamming the board... the techniques are various, but the motive is the same, retaliation, or making the admin bend.

Administration feels like politics at times. It gets even worse when your fellow admins don't share your vision of the thing. And even worse when they think their authority goes further than it actually does, and there is no regulating authority above that (this reminds you of something, right?).

Surely I expected the drama when I started getting in the business. SMG2.5 was full of it. I eventually got it under control and things became nice, but drama is always present. Over time, it takes a toll on your will to do things. Why would I get involved in something if I know it's going to be the same shit all over again?

MKDSCentral is a perfect example of it. I wanted to help the MKDS community after Yami disappeared, leaving them with no home for a while, and offer them an actually good course editor. I made the board, we started moving things to it... then, motivation ded. MarioKraft, the course editor, has a Github repo with nothing in it other than a note to Gericom. The community was full of idiots (hell, that's where we got Luigi4242422wii). There was nobody I could really trust enough to keep the board, so it just sat there rotting until Yami came back and restored DSHack.

Apologies to you MKDS guys for letting you down.

I guess I should also apologize to SMG2.5, even though it didn't need my presence-- it was already doomed before I showed up.

And I owe to apologize to RVLution for staying in power 'for the sake of it' when I should have resigned.

It's more than time to move on.

I could also write about how to romhax, or how I admin, for whoever wants.

communism

Lunarius
Posted on 08-21-16 01:53 PM Link | #76368
I want to say “let StapleButter pick three new admins who have time to manage the board,” but I know that could be a bad idea.

One, it would be time consuming trying to find people who want to administer a board. Finding people who are mature and who have at least experience in managing a forum is pretty rare.

Two, simply picking someone to be staff would be the worst thing we could ever do. If we don't know that person, we could be electing a bad candidate. A person would have to have an unbiased view of everyone, regardless of what they have done in the past. They would also have to assume responsibility whenever something occurs and try to fulfill the community and board's needs.

And three, this option sounds like a board running a democratic government. :P Though, it could be an option reserved solely on StapleButter with the community not having a say in it.

<Silvreus>I am a random person…
<Silvreus>With a random personality…
<Silvreus>With a random life…
<Silvreus>How fun. :P

StapleButter
Posted on 08-21-16 01:58 PM Link | #76369
as far as this board is concerned, it's staying mine, I don't want to give it to someone else. I've grown attached to it :P

communism

SGC
Posted on 08-21-16 03:05 PM Link | #76370
Posted by StapleButter
MKDSCentral is a perfect example of it. I wanted to help the MKDS community after Yami disappeared, leaving them with no home for a while, and offer them an actually good course editor. I made the board, we started moving things to it... then, motivation ded. MarioKraft, the course editor, has a Github repo with nothing in it other than a note to Gericom. The community was full of idiots (hell, that's where we got Luigi4242422wii). There was nobody I could really trust enough to keep the board, so it just sat there rotting until Yami came back and restored DSHack.

Well, I wouldn't say it was a complete loss.

Yami
Posted on 08-21-16 06:05 PM Link | #76376
Posted by StapleButter

I actually think MKDSCentral served like some sort of gateway between generations of people.
New people came, old people left.
Even the new ones have already admitted to be one of these idiots, but as far as I've observed them, they've already grown into good users...mostly.

Luigi422wii was Banned from DSHack.org as well, and made a very clever comeback as "CammyGirl" (so clever, I mistook him for a Spambot, lol).
SGC and Arctus have proven to be good people after a while.
Back when DSHack.org was restored, SGC was quite a hothead, and Arctus was way to serious, but they both found the right paths.

I have no idea who the other idiots were, as I've been to MKDSCentral just a bit before it went down again.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-21-16 06:07 PM Link | #76377
there was also that Zheus Kaguisgodgjoifdgdg guy that kept making accounts for no reason. At some point he sent me a message like "I still have the habit of making multiple accounts, please IP ban me".

not that I entirely mind.

communism

SGC
Posted on 08-21-16 06:11 PM (rev. 2 of 08-21-16 06:13 PM) Link | #76378
Posted by Yami
I actually think MKDSCentral served like some sort of gateway between generations of people.
New people came, old people left.
Even the new ones have already admitted to be one of these idiots, but as far as I've observed them, they've already grown into good users...mostly.

Exactly what I was thinking.
If it weren't for MKDSCentral, I most likely would have stopped right after I generated my first NSBMD file.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-21-16 06:12 PM Link | #76379
anyway, I'm glad that MKDSCentral helped the community, even if it didn't get where I originally wanted :P

communism

Hiccup
Posted on 08-22-16 03:12 PM Link | #76386
I wonder if the general poor quality of Rvlution users is down to the media coverage of Reggie and Newer.

Maybe if you keep the board low-key, then most people who join will be people who are capable of using a search engine to find forums they are interested in - which would exclude a certain amount of surfers.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-22-16 03:13 PM Link | #76387
it's pretty much that, and the fact it has stayed unmoderated for long, allowing those users to feel at home.

they could then loudly complain about acts of moderation they didn't like. having 'lol demagogy' staff members also helped.

communism

SGC
Posted on 08-22-16 04:23 PM (rev. 4 of 08-22-16 04:28 PM) Link | #76388
I can see how to would have something to do with, it.

It doesn't surprise me, honestly.
Children see something they think is cool on YouTube, or anywhere else and they come expecting a playground, most of the time.

I mean, if you consider how GBATemp, and RVLution is, it's most likely for the best places like DSHack, or here often have low media coverage, or aren't very wide spread.

It also has a bit to do with who runs things, for example, pretty much nobody knows who owns GBATemp...

Main - Serious discussion - Retrospective New reply

Page rendered in 0.030 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 28, rows: 231/231, time: 0.016 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2018-07-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.