07-17-18 12:03 AM
Guest:

0 users reading What are your beliefs? | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 16
MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 06:47 PM Link | #74655
Posted by Marionumber1
Yes, it does deserve blame. When people are taught the beliefs as the ultimate truth of an all-powerful being, and the being itself frequently kills humans that don't follow its decrees, of course killing in the name of religion will happen.

I agree. Religions were never made for these killings, but it has ended up this way...and deserves some rethinking.

Posted by xkitten
haha

but more shootings would be hurting their cause more than anything, though? peaceful protests would be the correct way to get access back to the country.

not that anyone should ever consider banning a religion/race/group of people from a country, though, unless it's some dangerous cult or something

Not really. They make people scared so that people instantly subject to their cause.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 06:48 PM (rev. 2 of 07-24-16 06:49 PM) Link | #74656
peaceful protests are lovely and all, but they don't change shit.

want to change shit? you need a fucking revolution.

it's an exaggeration, but you need to know where and how to strike. And random shootings are definitely not the way to go. You don't necessarily need violence, but action has to be taken.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 06:49 PM Link | #74657
not really, but sort of. like i mean, the case with ghandi and his peaceful protests.

but yeah, usually they don't work until something drastic happens.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 06:49 PM Link | #74658
Nope, it's not the religion's fault. It literally states not to kill. Nowhere in the bible does it say killing anyone would please God.

And that's a terrible strategy, though. If I were said person and they started commiting violence, I'd just enforce the rule even more, you can't let people know that anything goes. Again, as I said earlier, I don't approve of kicking a religion/race/group out, though.

stop ninja'ing me u :'(
-fiverpost™
[image]

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 06:50 PM Link | #74659
Posted by MusiMasta
not really, but sort of. like i mean, the case with ghandi and his peaceful protests.

but yeah, usually they don't work until something drastic happens.

It only worked because the opponent wasn't too mean. Gandhi wouldn't fare well against ISIS. Or against any stubborn government.

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 06:51 PM Link | #74660
Posted by xkitten
Nope, it's not the religion's fault. It literally states not to kill. Nowhere in the bible does it say killing anyone would please God.

And that's a terrible strategy, though. If I were said person and they started commiting violence, I'd just enforce the rule even more, you can't let people know that anything goes. Again, as I said earlier, I don't approve of kicking a religion/race/group out, though.

stop ninja'ing me u :'(

Who would enforce that rule? I don't see anyone that can properly do that.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 06:52 PM Link | #74661
tell that to MLK, though

the racism of the 1960's was, er, pretty tough, yet MLK found a way to protest peacefully.

more ninja's :I
-fiverpost™
[image]

Marionumber1
Posted on 07-24-16 06:52 PM (rev. 2 of 07-24-16 06:53 PM) Link | #74662
Posted by xkitten

It does not always say it outright, but the facts of the religion (which I outlined) have that psychological effect, especially when they see the ultimate source of morality killing people who don't follow what they say, or ordering it to be done (see Leviticus).

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-24-16 06:53 PM Link | #74663
Posted by xkitten
tell that to MLK, though

the racism of the 1960's was, er, pretty tough, yet MLK found a way to protest peacefully.

martin luther king also ended up getting shot

[04/15/2018]gridatttack: I still think the whole smg2.5 team are still in middle school lol
[04/15/2018]gridatttack: and they are 14yrs old

cosmological: There's no one in Russia who doesn't agree with Putin, probably because his ideas are that great

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 06:54 PM Link | #74664
Posted by xkitten
tell that to MLK, though

Yeah, same as Ghandi, but as StapleButter said, if the opponents aren't that mean, then the protest will succeed. But ISIS, that just knows killing, protests won't do anything at all.

Posted by Tahcryon
martin luther king also ended up getting shot

Well, the protestors never did anything violent. Only the opponents did.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 06:56 PM Link | #74665
oh well that's a good point there, tahcryon

but still, the point did get across and racism eventually did stop. (and it didn't take 50 years, either)

or well, racism on a mass scale. it still will sometimes, no matter what.

guys please stop ninja'ing me xDD
-fiverpost™
[image]

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-24-16 06:57 PM (rev. 2 of 07-24-16 06:58 PM) Link | #74666
Posted by xkitten

but still, the point did get across and racism eventually did stop. (and it didn't take 50 years, either[...]

[citation needed]
Seriously, I don't think racism stopped. At all. I mean, isn't the KKK still a thing?

[04/15/2018]gridatttack: I still think the whole smg2.5 team are still in middle school lol
[04/15/2018]gridatttack: and they are 14yrs old

cosmological: There's no one in Russia who doesn't agree with Putin, probably because his ideas are that great

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 06:58 PM Link | #74667
Posted by xkitten

but still, the point did get across and racism eventually did stop. (and it didn't take 50 years, either)

or well, racism on a mass scale. it still will sometimes, no matter what.

guys please stop ninja'ing me xDD

Yeah, but still it's about the protestors protesting peacefully. Doesn't matter if they get shot, it only matters if the people they are protesting against get shot.

And yes again, the point did get across, but their audience weren't radicalists, people so brainwashed by religion that they kill in the name of their God.

Posted by Tahcryon
[citation needed]
Seriously, I don't think racism stopped. At all.

Nice to bring up, but now people aren't segregated legally and all that. So I'd say stuff is getting better.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 06:59 PM Link | #74668
again, racism on a mass scale

we have a black president, as well as plenty of black people in government positions or positions of power.

it has changed a good bit, tbh.

ninja'd again
-fiverpost™
[image]

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 07:02 PM Link | #74669
could you please saying "omg ninja'd again" though, it's getting annoying

Hiccup
Posted on 07-24-16 07:12 PM (rev. 2 of 07-24-16 07:16 PM) Link | #74670
Posted by StapleButter
the big bang itself is a theory, nobody was there to watch it when it happened. And if the universe has always existed, the big bang isn't a thing.

remember that the word "theory", in the scientific sense of the word means
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

i.e. scientific theories are not "theories" in the common sense of the word (like "guess") - they are well-evidenced conclusions

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 07:35 PM Link | #74672
'well-evidenced', well, they might have done a ton of calculations, but noone was there to watch the big bang.

theory: the universe started from a giant jar of blue paint, that's why the sky is blue

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 07:39 PM Link | #74673
Posted by StapleButter
'well-evidenced', well, they might have done a ton of calculations, but noone was there to watch the big bang.

theory: the universe started from a giant jar of blue paint, that's why the sky is blue

no, that's not what he means. they actually have evidence, of the particle's positions using infrared telescopes and stuff. not a random made up theory... :P

Marionumber1
Posted on 07-24-16 07:43 PM Link | #74674
Posted by StapleButter

A scientific theory has evidence indicating its truth, even if you can't prove for certain that it is. When it successfully explains a variety of observed real-world phenomena, it's considered valid.

MercuryPenny
Posted on 07-24-16 07:49 PM Link | #74675
christian, though my church is not a 'normal' one.

send me your terrible userbars and such to advertize in my footer ;^)
[image]

youtube i never use

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL THESE CRAWLS THEY WILL NOT CRAWL
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 16

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Page rendered in 0.026 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 27, rows: 229/229, time: 0.015 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.