Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
01-22-18 03:08 PM
Guest:

0 users reading What are your beliefs? | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Baby Luigi
Posted on 09-13-16 01:52 PM Link | #77256
Asking what's north of the North Pole is an impossible question, just like what's before the existence of the universe.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-13-16 02:36 PM Link | #77258
Posted by SuperMario64DS
Perhaps using the general term was wrong. Not that they're grouped together, but you often hear "I don't believe in God because of evolution", which doesn't make a lot of sense, and is "backed up" by abiogenesis and the creation of objects without an intent, purpose, or creator. From the getgo I never dismissed literal evolution - just the whole "flow" and reasoning for its use as an argument against creation.

The term "evolution" should then be disassociated with this subject of creation - it has no function here. Don't you agree?

It technically is true that evolution doesn't exactly displace creationism. In fact, a lot of Christians do think evolution is compatible with their religion. Gods (or aliens) could have seeded this place with simple organisms that have evolved. Or, God made the place older than it seems. Still, those are ad hoc hypotheses and can be left out. You also run against thousands of other religions that talk about completely different methods of how life came to be. It's a bigger issue that a lot of them say that they're the correct one.

The biggest issue is that people, citizens, think tanks, and political figures alike, are trying REALLY hard to try to put intelligent design and creationism as a science classes when they are not. It's akin to teaching intelligent falling and stork theory and assuming those are viable alternatives to gravity and sex ed respectively. Those people really grind my gears because a lot of them are really dishonest (the whole intelligent design debacle is pretty much dishonesty) and they don't wish to do any actual research or partake in any honest debate. They just want to win and have their beliefs spread and accepted as fact.

shibboleet
(post deleted) #77273

Hiccup
Posted on 09-15-16 07:10 AM Link | #77359
SuperMario64DS can believe whatever he wants. But he shouldn't mislead people by presenting unscientific things as rational.

MercuryPenny
Posted on 09-15-16 08:50 AM (rev. 2 of 09-15-16 12:06 PM) Link | #77361
leftygreenmario attitudes like yours are why atheists and christians usually don't get along well

send me your terrible userbars and such to advertize in my footer ;^)
[image]

youtube i never use

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL THESE CRAWLS THEY WILL NOT CRAWL

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-15-16 02:52 PM (rev. 3 of 09-15-16 02:59 PM) Link | #77374
Mmmm probably not. Though Christians don't like atheists either and trust them even less than Muslims (according to the general poll on Americans where majority of them are Christians, not making a specific statement on attitudes on Muslims or trying to assume any Christians here don't like atheists). Fundamentalists in particular piss me off so much that I often forget to keep my cool when talking about intelligent design.

Hiccup
Posted on 09-15-16 05:07 PM Link | #77408
Posted by MercuryPenny
leftygreenmario attitudes like yours are why atheists and christians usually don't get along well

Generalisations don't help create civilised converstaion.

MercuryPenny
Posted on 09-15-16 10:59 PM Link | #77444
definitely, but neither does blowing off alternate viewpoints on a matter as irrational nonsense

eh

send me your terrible userbars and such to advertize in my footer ;^)
[image]

youtube i never use

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL THESE CRAWLS THEY WILL NOT CRAWL

Marionumber1
Posted on 09-15-16 11:52 PM Link | #77446
Posted by MercuryPenny
definitely, but neither does blowing off alternate viewpoints on a matter as irrational nonsense

eh

Some things are just objectively irrational. That doesn't mean that pointing it out is disrespecting their beliefs.

Hiccup
Posted on 09-16-16 04:34 AM Link | #77452
We should probably stop criticising peoples beliefs in this thread. This is meant to be a "What are your beliefs?" thread, not a "Examine beliefs" thread. It just seems a bit rude, not that I dislike scientific discussion or anything.

StapleButter
Posted on 09-16-16 05:00 AM Link | #77455
This.

Any more drama and I'll have to close this thread.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

Baby Luigi
Posted on 09-16-16 02:53 PM Link | #77470
Can we all agree that fundamentalists who kill in the name of God are one of the absolute worst goddamn people in this planet?

I'm pretty sure God would really be like, "Whoa man, I'm in no way affiliated with those people."

StapleButter
Posted on 09-16-16 03:02 PM Link | #77473
I agree.

As if God needed a justice team.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

MusiMasta
Posted on 09-16-16 06:56 PM Link | #77493
Posted by Baby Luigi
Can we all agree that fundamentalists who kill in the name of God are one of the absolute worst goddamn people in this planet?

I'm pretty sure God would really be like, "Whoa man, I'm in no way affiliated with those people."

Actually, I think God would severely punish them instead of just saying that they aren't related. And I just don't understand, those people probably just have nothing to do with their life so they need to go kill someone to have something to do.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-16-16 07:53 PM Link | #77496
Posted by Baby Luigi

http://www.theonion.com/article/god-distances-self-from-christian-right-30087

Toms
Posted on 09-22-16 11:43 AM Link | #77797
I'm a Christain, but often than not, I don't act like it much

I've broken way too many rules in the bible to feel good about my faith right now

MusiMasta
Posted on 09-22-16 09:57 PM Link | #77815
Well, that's why Jesus sacrificed himself, because humans are not and will never be perfect. We'll qlways make mistakes and break rules here and there. So, there's no reason to feel bad about your faith.

Toms
Posted on 09-23-16 10:31 AM Link | #77834
True, but considering everything that is going on in my life right now, I can't really boast about much

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 09-23-16 04:09 PM Link | #77856
Posted by TMolter
I've broken way too many rules in the bible to feel good about my faith right now

It's why manny Christians don't take the Bible very literally. They use it as a moral code, but have to ignore some parts of it. Especially the Old Testament.

shibboleet
Posted on 09-30-16 09:28 PM Link | #78114
what's really interesting is how much science has...pretty much changed about how people think about the Bible in some ways.

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Page rendered in 0.028 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 26, rows: 227/227, time: 0.016 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.