Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
05-23-18 12:22 PM
Guest:

0 users reading What are your beliefs? | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 14
fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 01:14 PM Link | #74542
I'm going to make this thread simply because I'm interested in what you guys have to say.

What are your religious beliefs (if you have any)? I myself am a Protestant Christian.

generally speaking, please do not try to convert people to your beliefs or force it upon them, and please don't be hateful or a bigot. the forum rules and the board rules (obviously) apply as well. and please do not create drama, either, I don't want this thread closed because people are whining about others' beliefs or whatever
-fiverpost™
[image]

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-24-16 01:18 PM Link | #74545
I used to be Muslim, and according to my ID, I still am. Though recently I've become more of an atheist. The story just seems a bit weird. Someone goes into a cave and stays there for a while, and when he comes back he claims that an angel descended and relayed a message from God to him. If something like that happened today, nobody would believe him.

That's my reason.

[04/15/2018]gridatttack: I still think the whole smg2.5 team are still in middle school lol
[04/15/2018]gridatttack: and they are 14yrs old

cosmological: There's no one in Russia who doesn't agree with Putin, probably because his ideas are that great

PixelDimension
Posted on 07-24-16 01:22 PM Link | #74548
Posted by Tahcryon
according to my ID

WHAT?! That's on IDs in Turkey?

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 01:23 PM Link | #74549
I don't subscribe to a particular religion.

I don't consider myself an atheist either. Does God exist? Who knows. But it's very unlikely that the Earth and all the shit on it occured 'by luck'. All the forms of life are based on DNA that we don't even understand. That has to be the feat of a superior intelligence.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-24-16 01:24 PM Link | #74550
Posted by PixelDimension
WHAT?! That's on IDs in Turkey?

Yes, right next to the marital status.

[04/15/2018]gridatttack: I still think the whole smg2.5 team are still in middle school lol

cosmological: There's no one in Russia who doesn't agree with Putin, probably because his ideas are that great

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 01:28 PM Link | #74552
really odd.

neither of those two are present on my ID card.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 01:29 PM Link | #74553
I don't exactly think it's a good idea to put your religion on your ID card anyway
-fiverpost™
[image]

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-24-16 01:36 PM Link | #74555
Posted by xkitten
I don't exactly think it's a good idea to put your religion on your ID card anyway

It's not, it has no reason to be there.
iirc there have been pushes to get it removed though.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 01:44 PM Link | #74556
given the current status of Turkey's government, I doubt that's going to happen tho

good thing is america was built off religion being separated from the state, so no choices are influenced by beliefs
-fiverpost™
[image]

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-24-16 01:49 PM Link | #74557
Turkey was like that too when it was founded. Parties have been pushing for more Islam for decades.

JakoNintenCraft
Posted on 07-24-16 02:18 PM Link | #74560
Posted by StapleButter

I don't consider myself an atheist either. Does God exist? Who knows. But it's very unlikely that the Earth and all the shit on it occured 'by luck'. All the forms of life are based on DNA that we don't even understand. That has to be the feat of a superior intelligence.

That's called agnosticism.

Anyway, I'm a Roman Catholic, and have been my entire life.

You're inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside the Matrix, inside a taco, inside a taco, within a Taco Bell, that's inside a KFC, within a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!; inside another giant simulation!

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 02:19 PM Link | #74561
Posted by StapleButter

Yeah I'm more of this. Just how the universe was made is going to be a question, because it being "luck" is just too much of a coincidence.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 07-24-16 02:40 PM Link | #74567
Posted by Tahcryon
Yes, right next to the marital status.

wtf wow

I'm Jewish, I have a lot of knowledge of the religion and history but I don't really follow.

salty
Posted on 07-24-16 02:42 PM Link | #74569
I guess I'm catholic, I do believe God is real. Although, I do think that is weird that he "always" existed.

I'm not the person who bashes other religions though, that would be the moms of this certain group I'm in.

if my mom saw this thread she would be fucking pissed

Yami
Posted on 07-24-16 03:42 PM Link | #74580
I don't have any religion.
I don't like the idea of being brainwashed to do something, or not to do something, just because you think there might be a God, multiple Gods, an Allah, a God and Goddess, a Buddha, or whatever else.

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 03:44 PM Link | #74581
>brainwashed

errr, what?
-fiverpost™
[image]

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 03:47 PM Link | #74583
because not to be mean or anything,

but at church (or another place's) services you basically get exposed to their ideas, and some of them are, for example, this is the only true belief in the world, every other belief is false.

which is brainwashing.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 03:48 PM Link | #74584
Posted by MusiMasta
Yeah I'm more of this. Just how the universe was made is going to be a question, because it being "luck" is just too much of a coincidence.

I also think: who cares. Life is too short to be wasted on those questions that will never be answered, and the answers don't matter to our everyday life. Just enjoy it and what it gives you.

Hiccup
Posted on 07-24-16 04:18 PM Link | #74587
Posted by StapleButter
All the forms of life are based on DNA that we don't even understand. That has to be the feat of a superior intelligence.

According to scientific consensus, basic life was created by non-random events and apparently random events. Due to mutation + natural selection, it evolved.
The apparent unlikeliness of existence of life could possibly be explained by:
* A large universe with many chances for life to be created
* Multiple universes, and this is one of the ones (or the only one) wherein life started

Dunno what to say about God/s.

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 04:32 PM Link | #74588
Even if our universe was large or there were other universes as well, what created those? Random simply isn't a good enough answer.

In addition, time is created and destroyed at the birth of a universe and death of a universe. At least I think religions are created for a simpler way of understanding the universe, but it's all much more complicated. Time is just too complicated to explain in scientific words, it just exists and we take it for granted. The question will most likely stay unsolvable, unless technology grows to such an extent that would be unimaginable.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 14

Main - Serious discussion - What are your beliefs? New reply

Page rendered in 0.040 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 26, rows: 227/227, time: 0.024 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.