Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
04-27-18 04:30 AM
Guest:

0 users reading Job hunting. Absolute fun. | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - Job hunting. Absolute fun. New reply

Pages: 1 2 3
MusiMasta
Posted on 07-29-16 11:27 AM (rev. 2 of 07-29-16 12:55 PM) Link | #75164
Just login to this site, simple as that. Also the other sites too. And of course your Gmail and all of that, it all links to "staplebutter".

Plus, you released your projects here, show them that. I don't think they can find any reason at all to deny that you aren't Staplebutter because you have logged on to all your accounts on multiple forums and showed them the place where you released several of your projects. And even if this doesn't succeed, the fact that you are a good coder/hacker doesn't disappear and you could code something up right in front of their eyes if they're that disbelieving.

gridatttack
Posted on 07-29-16 12:16 PM Link | #75169
Posted by StapleButter
Pretty sure I'm competing against 50 candidates with perfect courses and much more interesting projects in their portfolio.

so basically I'm not going to bother. they wouldn't hire me anyway.

The worst thing you can ever do in this type of situation is assuming things.
I learned that this Wednesday.

How do you know you're competing against such people? How do you know they won't hire you if you don't try?

Best course of action for any job would be to try your best, you might never know.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-29-16 03:38 PM Link | #75192
mh, we'll see.

anyway, let's see what open-source projects I have.

this board will not be shown. it's closed-source and doesn't follow the hipsterweb standards, making it moot.

CoinKiller: mostly taken over by Mariomaster.

melonDS: didn't get far (not due to lack of motivation. can't say more)

SM64DSe: a nice amount of my code, but ultimately taken over by Fiachra, I guess a lot of the code is his now. might be good

blargSNES: good

Staplehax: worthless

ctrulib: oh right I contributed to that. ages ago.

Whitehole: code is trash

MarioKraft: got nowhere. worthless

lolSNES: same code as blargSNES, only older. kind of redundant.

SMGExtractor: little utility. dunno

WiiExplorer: why not

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

fiver
Posted on 07-29-16 03:42 PM Link | #75193
what about blargboard, though?

you could argue it's lightweight, not bloated and has a good permissions system that's basic but handy
-fiverpost™
[image]

Yami
Posted on 07-29-16 04:08 PM (rev. 2 of 07-29-16 04:08 PM) Link | #75195
Posted by xkitten
what about blargboard, though?

Posted by StapleButter
I doubt a website like this would get me a web coder position anyway. it's all the opposite of the modern hip web companies want.

Yes, this is not a BlargBoard, but it's still no Hipster Web App.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-29-16 04:12 PM Link | #75197
Blargboard isn't good either, it was shot down by a hipster fool at The ADmin Zone.

oh and I deleted the repo long ago. it's only still alive because a certain backstabbing person keeps a copy of the repo.

anyway Blargboard can die in a hole. I didn't like how the code turned, and I didn't like the success it got (only used for derpboards, and a few serious projects that never took off).

fiver
Posted on 07-29-16 04:17 PM Link | #75199
such a shame though, it was good.

you shouldn't have given up just because people were using it for derpboards. you can't really prevent that.
-fiverpost™
[image]

Marionumber1
Posted on 07-29-16 04:18 PM Link | #75200
Real-life code is trash too, so I think your projects would fit in just fine.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-29-16 04:47 PM Link | #75201
Posted by xkitten
such a shame though, it was good.

you shouldn't have given up just because people were using it for derpboards. you can't really prevent that.

it wasn't the only reason. I mostly disliked how the code turned.

also, make anything and there'll be idiots using it for dumb purposes; but when your only users are the idiots, it gets depressing, as much as when you have no users at all

the Blargboard forum, when it was still a thing, was full of idiocy. threads like "help it wont work on my shitty free host" and "doh newreply.php became online.php how to fix?????" and "hey i made my own blargboard fork idioboard :DDD has a new layout and new pages and more".

Posted by Marionumber1
Real-life code is trash too, so I think your projects would fit in just fine.

heh.

employers have standards, though.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-29-16 06:53 PM Link | #75223
Posted by gridatttack
The worst thing you can ever do in this type of situation is assuming things.
I learned that this Wednesday.

How do you know you're competing against such people? How do you know they won't hire you if you don't try?

Best course of action for any job would be to try your best, you might never know.

well, I applied...

The next step is for the recruitment team to learn more about you by reviewing your application. Due to a high number of candidates this might take some time – we will do our best to give you some feedback within the coming month.

if it's true, means I have next to no chance, there WILL be a better candidate.

but on the other hand, the email is automated. That's probably just a typical sentence to justify them taking ages to reply, regardless of the actual situation.

also, moved this thread here. my application links to my portfolio which ultimately creates a bridge between my real-life person and this board. I don't really want employers to find this kind of thread.

gridatttack
Posted on 07-29-16 07:42 PM Link | #75240
Posted by StapleButter
well, I applied...

Good luck!

Let's hope for the best.
Remember, always look for other possible jobs in case you don't get selected.

Also, in terms of projects you have done, you can always say what the project is about, like, instead of saying 'blargboard', you did a Messaging Forum System, and for Whitehole etc you could say 'content editor' for a game.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-29-16 07:47 PM Link | #75244
'look for other jobs' implies there are offers available, which isn't the case (it's always the same old, stale ones). maybe it'll get better in September.

I didn't mention Blargboard and Whitehole. Blargboard is better left dead, and Whitehole's code is trash.

The ones I mentioned are blargSNES, SM64DSe and WiiExplorer. I felt that the others are either not worth mentioning (went nowhere), or mostly taken over by someone else (CoinKiller)...

StapleButter
Posted on 08-05-16 06:37 PM (rev. 2 of 08-05-16 06:37 PM) Link | #75719
I have a skype interview Monday. wish me luck.

basically I'd code C++/C# shit. that's what I was told.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-27-16 09:32 PM Link | #76577
sooo... letting you dangle in the void is industry standard for telling you that you're rejected, it seems.

Mon 08: skype interview. I'm told about a technical interview that will follow.

Wed 17: I ask about my application's progress. Get a reply 4 minutes later, "manager just came back, I'll give you more info by the end of the week"

Fri 19: nothing

Sun 21: still nothing

Mon 22: I ask again. No reply.

Sat 27: I ask again. I know I'll get no reply, but... you never know? Like that guy playing lotto knowing he will lose, but secretly hoping to win.

What else is there to say? I've been an idiot for running after jobs I can't get. I should have looked for 'crapo' jobs from day one. Maybe I'd be out of that shit already and I could, you know, socialize instead of staring at the boring internet all day long.

gridatttack
Posted on 08-28-16 03:55 AM Link | #76588
Well, that's how it is.

It's a necessity to be in 'aggro' mode when searching for jobs.
Like, it doesn't matter if an interview went great, because as long as you're not hired with a contract, etc. nothing can be taken for granted.

As always, good luck, and if you manage to find a crapo job in the meantime, try to aim for it? Just to start getting funds and prolong the time period you can keep looking for jobs in your area.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-28-16 09:21 AM Link | #76593
Well, yeah.

My first impression was "oh, I get spontaneous calls, I have chances to get a job!". I was an idiot.

Those companies who contact you and tell you that they found your resume interesting... it's bullshit. They harvest a ton of candidates, serving the same bullshit to each, then they cherry-pick the best.

StapleButter
Posted on 08-29-16 04:51 AM Link | #76622
I got a reply, actually.

"the client wants someone with more experience. you have no experience, fuck you and goodbye"

at this point I don't see what I'm supposed to do other than a) faking my resume or b) giving up and doing something else.

StapleButter
Posted on 09-01-16 10:50 AM Link | #76761
I'm restoring this thread to the public. at this point it's unlikely I get a developer job for now anyway.

poudink
Posted on 09-01-16 06:19 PM Link | #76784
Ah so that's why this thread suddently dissapeared.

[insert quote here]

StapleButter
Posted on 09-01-16 07:32 PM Link | #76786
yeah. dunno what to do about the portfolio.

people might find me IRL. strawberry cookies if they do. I only accept friend requests from people I know IRL tho.

Pages: 1 2 3

Main - Serious discussion - Job hunting. Absolute fun. New reply

Page rendered in 0.032 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 26, rows: 227/227, time: 0.016 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.