07-20-18 06:48 AM
Guest:

0 users reading Job hunting. Absolute fun. | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - Job hunting. Absolute fun. New reply

Pages: 1 2 3
StapleButter
Posted on 07-22-16 07:18 AM Link | #74297
So this is it.

I'm on my own now. I have enough money saved to live for about 6 months. But I kind of want to stay longer.

So yeah. There we go, job hunting.

The standard course is: complete 5 years of studies, with an internship at the end, said internship potentially becoming your first job.

Obviously my course isn't that. It's more like:

Out of high school, no fucking idea what to do or where to go. There's a billion possibilities. I'm lost. help.

I finally go to an engineering school which was suggested by my parents (dad happens to occasionally teach there. coincidence?). I sorta manage two years, third one is a failure. I refuse to do it again.

So instead I go to univ. I can directly enter the third year of an IT-centered course, not bad. I complete said year with good grades, get a diploma.

I carry on to the next year, makes sense.

(side note: I love how my parents were like "you can also stop now" but later said that doing so is shit and lands you no job. it's really "no we're not forcing you, you can choose, but all the other options are shit")

Ok. I fail, again. You might have already read about it, namely, their fucking worthless database course led by an angry frustrated bitch.

And here we are. I moved away from mom and her crap. I applied to the Montpellier univ, they turned me down with a bullshit reason. At this point, the other options are limited, and I don't really feel like hastily choosing one of the private schools and paying 5000€ for something I would fail again.

So here we go, job hunting. For real this time.

Given I have no prior experience, would help to show some of my projects. But what do I really have to show?

Crapo school/univ projects. A C/SDL Bomberman clone that works well enough. A Java Pacman game that is rather nice. I could put them on my real-life Github. There's also shit like a pathfinding demo using the Paris subway network.

Another univ project I contributed to from my real-life Github, but it went craptastically and is not worth showing or mentioning.

Then there's the StapleButter side. SM64DSe, Whitehole, blargSNES, and others. But all of that is on a legal gray area. SM64DSe has been largely taken over by Fiachra. Whitehole is shit. blargSNES is one of my most successful projects. But can I really show it?

Allright. Sending applications.

I feel anxious from not knowing where those are going. Well, one company showed interest for my profile, asked that I fill in papers... and now, sure enough, they're noticing my non-standard course and inquiring. skdsgf

A couple companies have called me but they're not in my place. Even if I had a car, a two-hour distance would still not be an option. And nothing guarantees it would even work out.

I feel guilty for not spending a lot of time into job hunting, but at the same time, there are only so much offers available. Once I have applied to them, I can't make up more offers.

They say it's because of summer vacation. I should wait for September. But at the same time, I kind of want to get a job already. I'm just sitting here doing nothing. I'd go out, but I feel bad spending money when I'm not making any.

If all else fails, I'll get crapo jobs until I can find out what I want. Try univ again next year, or some engineering school, with no guarantee that it'd actually make it easier for me to find a job? Do something radically different?

oh well

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

Hiccup
(post deleted) #74305

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-22-16 11:18 AM (rev. 2 of 07-22-16 12:06 PM) Link | #74323
So, if you try univ again next year, some engineering school, etc, will you have to pay for it on your own? If so, maybe you can try that out again. I know you've failed multiple times, but thing is, maybe you aren't working hard enough. You should try working harder just these years to get that higher degree as the higher degree you get, the more money you make, and the more chance of a job. But maybe, you aren't the type of person to sit in a school setting and just do what your professor dictates. I think you're more like the person that likes to go out on their own and do their own thing, so at this point, a job would probably be the option instead of trying univ, school, again unless you're willing to work 3x harder or something like that.

And about money issues, well, you have to find a job quick, somehow. But for now, although people or even you won't like it, you might get a little cash here and there from putting ads on this site (like on SMWCentral). This will help you survive longer by yourself and hopefully people here won't mind. Also, about what you have to show, just show what you think represents you the most. Even if its on a legal gray area, because if you word your stuff right, it can help you a lot. And, if your dad works somewhere, maybe you can go learn from him and that potentially being your first job. Even if you don't like his job or what he does, getting a job definitely is better than none and will help set you up to whatever job you really want.

Edit: Also, you don't only have to show them your projects. You should demonstrate good qualities in some way. By this, I mean that you can say you are a person with a lot of persistence because despite the site dying at the beginning, you did not give up and it has come to its current state today. Or that you are a great leader, demonstrated through you being a leader in the SMG 2.5 project, etc. Just try to think up of better examples if you can.

fiver
Posted on 07-22-16 12:16 PM Link | #74325
The problem is, I doubt people hiring (unless for some dev/coding position) care about some website about hacking Mario games. Nor do they even know it's legal. :P

Although, I do recommend showing them blargSNES. It's an emulator, and those aren't illegal if you go thru getting a rom the correct way.
-fiverpost™
[image]

StapleButter
Posted on 07-22-16 12:19 PM Link | #74326
I doubt a website like this would get me a web coder position anyway. it's all the opposite of the modern hip web companies want.

as for putting ads on this board... no. Dirbaio did it at NSMBHD and the revenue is ridiculous. It's pointless unless you run a big site.

shibboleet
Posted on 07-22-16 12:36 PM (rev. 2 of 07-22-16 12:37 PM) Link | #74331
to be honest here, I got accepted into a University and in my application I included that I've made a few editors for Nintendo games, and a tiny bit of CafeOS documentation.

so I don't think that the "legal gray area" will really apply

SuperMario64DS
Posted on 07-22-16 12:50 PM (rev. 2 of 07-22-16 12:53 PM) Link | #74334
What field are you looking into? Programming in general? Game development?

Have you considered working remotely for independent developers? Once you cut out the lawyers, managers, clueless people in between, or put the people who work in charge, they actually find this stuff pretty cool.

For instance, have you heard of Parax? He developed the Metroid Prime editor, is working on Donkey Kong Contry Returns editors, etc. Well, he was offered a job at Retro Studios - they were so impressed by his work on their games, they were willing to hire him. Isn't that amazing?

But he turned them down for now. Instead, he landed a job as the secondary programmer for A Hat in Time, and continues to work on the game.

Your experience with BlargSNES makes you qualified to apply for any job with a developer looking to deploy on 3DS, for instance. Or perhaps your work on WhiteHole shows you have the ability to build proprietary software or work with proprietary formats (I suppose you could compare this to projects like Rare Replay).

Several points here, I guess. Lowkey developers don't care and find this type of thing impressive. There are plenty around looking for experience in any field. Even higher profile studios, such as Retro Studios. With what you consider the highlights of your portfolio being videogame related and legally "grey", don't expect a job at Nintendo HQ or some high profile software corporation pushing out word processors and "driver repair utilities" if that's what you want to put forward. Lastly, your work puts you leagues beyond your peers in specialized areas for which there's demand. I'll touch on that in a second.

My advice is to spend the next year building your portfolio. You have quite a few options. Make a new editor, port this or that, work on this console or that console. If you look around, you'll notice problems needing to be solved in which you have experience in, or can acquire experience for through backdoor methods.

If I recall, there's a demand for Clickteam Fusion running on the 3DS. Nobody's really done that yet, and there's a desire for games like Freedom Planet to exist on the 3DS. Anyone who does so also puts themselves in line to work with franchises like Five Nights at Freddy's, and perhaps many others. That's an option.

In short, you're intelligent, and should have no problem getting a job anywhere. It just depends on who you want to work for, and what you'll put in your portfolio this year.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 07-22-16 06:26 PM Link | #74398
Posted by StapleButter
Try univ again next year, or some engineering school, with no guarantee that it'd actually make it easier for me to find a job?

Engineers, specially software engineers are in great demand everywhere, I don't thing you could go wrong with getting an engineering degree.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-23-16 02:01 PM Link | #74477
Posted by MrRean
to be honest here, I got accepted into a University and in my application I included that I've made a few editors for Nintendo games, and a tiny bit of CafeOS documentation.

so I don't think that the "legal gray area" will really apply

yeah, might do that. But then there's no link between StapleButter and my real life internet presence. so... dunno.

Posted by Degolegodyl
Engineers, specially software engineers are in great demand everywhere, I don't thing you could go wrong with getting an engineering degree.

sure, but in the meantime I kind of need a job, so eh

Posted by SuperMario64DS
What field are you looking into? Programming in general? Game development?

Have you considered working remotely for independent developers? Once you cut out the lawyers, managers, clueless people in between, or put the people who work in charge, they actually find this stuff pretty cool.

For instance, have you heard of Parax? He developed the Metroid Prime editor, is working on Donkey Kong Contry Returns editors, etc. Well, he was offered a job at Retro Studios - they were so impressed by his work on their games, they were willing to hire him. Isn't that amazing?

But he turned them down for now. Instead, he landed a job as the secondary programmer for A Hat in Time, and continues to work on the game.

Your experience with BlargSNES makes you qualified to apply for any job with a developer looking to deploy on 3DS, for instance. Or perhaps your work on WhiteHole shows you have the ability to build proprietary software or work with proprietary formats (I suppose you could compare this to projects like Rare Replay).

Several points here, I guess. Lowkey developers don't care and find this type of thing impressive. There are plenty around looking for experience in any field. Even higher profile studios, such as Retro Studios. With what you consider the highlights of your portfolio being videogame related and legally "grey", don't expect a job at Nintendo HQ or some high profile software corporation pushing out word processors and "driver repair utilities" if that's what you want to put forward. Lastly, your work puts you leagues beyond your peers in specialized areas for which there's demand. I'll touch on that in a second.

My advice is to spend the next year building your portfolio. You have quite a few options. Make a new editor, port this or that, work on this console or that console. If you look around, you'll notice problems needing to be solved in which you have experience in, or can acquire experience for through backdoor methods.

If I recall, there's a demand for Clickteam Fusion running on the 3DS. Nobody's really done that yet, and there's a desire for games like Freedom Planet to exist on the 3DS. Anyone who does so also puts themselves in line to work with franchises like Five Nights at Freddy's, and perhaps many others. That's an option.

In short, you're intelligent, and should have no problem getting a job anywhere. It just depends on who you want to work for, and what you'll put in your portfolio this year.

that's some good advice there, thanks

that mostly goes in the same way as MrRean said, and there's the issue I mentioned above. Other than that, it can be a good idea.

I know that Ubisoft is present near Montpellier. Would they recognize the work put in things like blargSNES?

JakoNintenCraft
Posted on 07-23-16 07:57 PM Link | #74497
You're in France, right? Why not apply as a game developer for Nintendo of Europe? You obviously have the skill (for example reverse engineering proprietary software, quite a feat even they should appreciate, and on multiple games, operating systems, and hardware to say more).

You're more than qualified to do that job and if they turn you down, they're nothing at all but idiots.

You're inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside the Matrix, inside a taco, inside a taco, within a Taco Bell, that's inside a KFC, within a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!; inside another giant simulation!

Yami
Posted on 07-24-16 12:10 AM Link | #74506
Posted by JakoNintenCraft
You're in France, right? Why not apply as a game developer for Nintendo of Europe?

1. Nintendo of Europe is in Germany.
2. They don't have any Game Developers.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-24-16 07:17 AM Link | #74514
and I doubt they would appreciate someone who's been developing homebrew and helping RE their platform, considering that a) they try to convince idiots that homebrew and emulation are 'criminal activities' and b) they shun the homebrew scene and try hard to block it

fiver
Posted on 07-24-16 09:39 AM Link | #74517
there's also that Nintendo developers stuff though, too. you could make games and possibly if they're good enough, be able to get on eShop and you can get profit for that.
-fiverpost™
[image]

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-24-16 12:26 PM Link | #74530
But, uh, I never saw Staplebutter "design" a game. I think he's more of a natural leader, hacker (to test possible exploits), and coder (for sites and programs). At least I never saw a game you made, I might be wrong on that part.

Yami
Posted on 07-24-16 03:38 PM Link | #74577
Posted by xkitten
there's also that Nintendo developers stuff though, too. you could make games and possibly if they're good enough, be able to get on eShop and you can get profit for that.

Don't rely on it to much, it takes a long while until you earn something, the pay is only once every 3 months, and unless you're a big brand already, you won't make nearly as much to make a living out of it.
I've been a 3rd Party Nintendo Developer in 2013, so I know where I'm talking about.

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 07-28-16 11:09 PM Link | #75080
Posted by StapleButter
I know that Ubisoft is present near Montpellier. Would they recognize the work put in things like blargSNES?

Part of me wonders what you would've done and what they would think of you if you put work into those Rayman games, which is from Ubisoft Montpellier...

StapleButter
Posted on 07-29-16 05:25 AM Link | #75117
meh. all I have to show is a Java pacman replica and a crapo Bomberman. Pretty sure I'm competing against 50 candidates with perfect courses and much more interesting projects in their portfolio.

so basically I'm not going to bother. they wouldn't hire me anyway.

JakoNintenCraft
Posted on 07-29-16 08:39 AM Link | #75123
Posted by StapleButter
meh. all I have to show is a Java pacman replica and a crapo Bomberman. Pretty sure I'm competing against 50 candidates with perfect courses and much more interesting projects in their portfolio.

so basically I'm not going to bother. they wouldn't hire me anyway.

Hello?! Whitehole? CoinKiller? etc?

You're inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside the Matrix, inside a taco, inside a taco, within a Taco Bell, that's inside a KFC, within a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!; inside another giant simulation!

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-29-16 10:46 AM Link | #75136
Yeah, you could showcase your other projects like Whitehole, CoinKiller, basically everything else you've done that isn't crap. And in my opinion, those are some pretty nice tools you made and it would definitely be a plus if you presented them.

And...there's no link between Staplebutter and my real life internet presence? Don't get that, unless you're different people. I mean, hacking is definitely of your interest, so that can be applied to real life. You could get a job at attempting to hack the database to increase security, etc. Do something you love to do.

fiver
Posted on 07-29-16 10:54 AM Link | #75143
what he's saying is that he can't prove he's StapleButter, really, aside from that old email log on Xkeeper's site, but you really don't want people looking at that. plus it still identifies you as mega-mario, I guess.

Oh well, I'm sure that you'll figure out some way to prove it.
-fiverpost™
[image]
Pages: 1 2 3

Main - Serious discussion - Job hunting. Absolute fun. New reply

Page rendered in 0.031 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 26, rows: 229/229, time: 0.015 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.