Guest:

0 users reading Why I can't wait to move the fuck out | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - Why I can't wait to move the fuck out New reply

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Spacey
Posted on 04-06-16 08:56 PM (rev. 2 of 04-06-16 08:57 PM) Link | #69505
Posted by StapleButter
is your brother SquidEmpress or what :P

I honestly wouldn't be surprised, considering how butt hurt he gets when people mention the shady shit he does. Though, I guess the one thing he has over SquidEmpress is that he seems like he is at least trying to be intelligent :P

StapleButter
Posted on 04-07-16 06:35 AM Link | #69515
if he's not constantly killing himself or putting on girl clothes, he's probably not Squiddy, but eh

my sister isn't that bad, gladly, we get along well

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

MarioFanatic64
Posted on 04-08-16 02:10 AM Link | #69539
Posted by StapleButter
why a two month period every two years, though? maybe I'm missing something, but it seems weird to me

My grandparents go on holiday through most of the Winter, and they like having someone stay at their house to take care of the animals and generally keep the place safe. Every year, me and my sister alternate between who gets a brief taste of independence.

JakoNintenCraft
Posted on 04-08-16 11:51 AM Link | #69544
@MarioFanatic64: Da life. I can't even legally leave home yet. Keep up your independence man.

You're inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside the Matrix, inside a taco, inside a taco, within a Taco Bell, that's inside a KFC, within a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!; inside another giant simulation!

StapleButter
Posted on 04-08-16 03:07 PM Link | #69548
sounds, uh, fun

exam week coming, which means that for a couple days there's no avoiding the car trip with mom. yay

oh well

Baby Luigi
Posted on 04-08-16 03:11 PM Link | #69549
Is she going to yell at you for not studying for the test

StapleButter
Posted on 04-08-16 03:14 PM (rev. 2 of 04-08-16 03:14 PM) Link | #69551
no, but she will badger me about it and did you work enough and let me give you a quick test and blezhfzgfzhjdh

or just go on forever about her boring life at work, or ask me a billion questions

Baby Luigi
Posted on 04-08-16 03:15 PM Link | #69553
Do you even do well on tests? Or is she that type of parent where getting a B on the test mean no more privileges for you?

StapleButter
Posted on 04-08-16 03:17 PM Link | #69554
depends on the tests, but I care about the upcoming ones so I'll try to do good

she doesn't obsess over results, she just thinks that if I'm not working 24/7 on it like she would and continually tell him about it, it automatically means I'm doing nothing

CyberTanuki
Posted on 04-08-16 03:24 PM Link | #69555
I've been living on my own with my fiancee for a while, not very long though. Unfortunately, I'm struggling because my job cut my hours. We aren't going to be here for much longer, which does suck. I still don't even have my license yet. It wouldn't really matter moving back in with my parents anyways, and I really appreciate their offer to let me move back in. They seem to be really cool with any thing I do, really, which is hilarious because I'm the only one out of two older brothers that they never get mad at. My brothers wouldn't be getting bitched at if they weren't getting into enough trouble all the time.

StapleButter
Posted on 04-08-16 03:29 PM Link | #69556
eh, what kind of trouble? more like actual trouble (lives for ages without a job or whatever) or more like not following mom's rails?

CyberTanuki
Posted on 04-08-16 03:38 PM (rev. 2 of 04-08-16 03:40 PM) Link | #69557
Posted by StapleButter
eh, what kind of trouble? more like actual trouble (lives for ages without a job or whatever) or more like not following mom's rails?

They're party animals and they hang out with the wrong people.
One of them does have a job and does have a little bit of responsibility, but the other one is just plain out hopeless.
What bugs me is that neither of them make any big effort to try and take care of themselves, and they're incredibly dependent on our parents.
As for me, I like to save my parents any hassle. I know how to take care of myself, and I think they know that.
When I do ask them for money, I pay them back, and I remind them that I'm thankful that they can provide me a shelter.
Shit like that goes right over my brothers' heads.

StapleButter
Posted on 04-08-16 04:02 PM Link | #69559
oh, yeah, doesn't sound too good

salty
Posted on 04-08-16 06:44 PM Link | #69574
Posted by Baby Luigi
Do you even do well on tests? Or is she that type of parent where getting a B on the test mean no more privileges for you?

my mom is always disappointed when i get a B

"This signature has been officially changed by Nintendo. Please visit our site for unique deals, games, and more! Please check StapleButter's recent announcement for more info on why this signature has been changed."

Degolegodyl
Posted on 04-08-16 07:06 PM Link | #69575
Well, B is average, she knows you can do better than average. Study more

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 04-08-16 07:10 PM Link | #69576
I wouldn't go and say you should work harder. You shouldn't push yourself too hard for grades. Grades mean squat once you're in college or at work (in college, you just need good grades, but not spectacular grades to get the needed financial aid), so all of this pressure on getting good grades is really overblown. I think B should be sufficient.

StapleButter
Posted on 04-08-16 07:42 PM Link | #69577
that kind of perfectionism can have an effect opposite to the desired one

ie. why bother working at all if you're going to get shit on either way because you aren't perfect

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 04-08-16 08:15 PM Link | #69582
Yes, perfectionism is unhealthy and is ironically counterproductive. Also unreasonable expectations. Dad had literally extraordinary expectations for me. When I couldn't achieve them, my emotions go down the toilet and I cut myself.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 04-08-16 09:21 PM Link | #69587
Posted by LeftyGreenMario
I wouldn't go and say you should work harder. You shouldn't push yourself too hard for grades. Grades mean squat once you're in college or at work

With good grades you get accepted to university, I saw a lot of my friends not get into the one they wanted, their whole plan got ruined, didnt do what they wanted, had to pick another career/school.

Also, scholarships for really high marks are huge, without mine I might not have been able to go to university. So sure, for those $800 scholarships, you might not need marks, just a sob story or a ton of luck or a bunch of club/volunteer participation.

Sure grades are useless until like grade 10. Grade 11 and grade 12 marks are seen by univs and college so you need to do well there. Also, here in university, in engineering, we have to pick our specialty for next year. There is competition for some, like electrical and mechanical. A person with a higher average has priority into whatever specialty over the one with a lower average. Marks ARE important.

In the workforce, after post secondary, marks are only important for your first job. That's when you give them your transcript. Trust me you don't want to give them a transcript with 60% average. Also, if you want to get an internship, you NEED good marks.

And let's not forget about graduate school. To get accepted for your Master's/PHD/Medical Doctorate, you gotta have good marks. There are so many people that failed to go into med school because of their marks in university.

People rewarded for busting their ass, you gotta try your best, study hard, learn the best you can, find courage to keep going. People notice when someone has tried, there are no rewards for the lazy. Try your best and you'll do great.

Yeah, I guess some parents are annoying when they expect A's sometimes, I believe a good parent should say "you'll get the A next time", instead of "WTF IS DIS, B, R U DUMB BRO"

I remember when I stopped giving a shit about my grades. I just gave up, I let it all go to hell. Well, all I needed was a new beginning, sort of, long story... If you feel like not giving a shit, look at it from another perspective to incentivize you and motivate you to get good grades.

wtf 500 words, I need to spend more time studying for exams than this....

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 04-09-16 01:06 AM Link | #69589
Nope, if you have middling grades, you can try a hand at going to community college. And besides, even if you don't go to community college, there will always be a college that accepts you. Take California for instance. I have little chance of being accepted at UCLA or USC, but I do have a big chance of getting accepted in smaller-scale newer universities including UC Merced and UC Davis. And officially accredited private universities have their own set of rules too. My plans are indeed going to those private schools, at least a dream school because they offer specialization in arts fields that the public ones don't focus as much on. But going on to community college: once you're there, your high school grades don't matter much anymore. But you have to be careful at community college because it's your second chance, and a screw up there is a major screw up.

Otherwise, grades shouldn't be a big deal like this, especially since you have a lot of options if your plans don't go as intended. Your friends DO need to consider back-up universities in their plan. I think for graduate school, grades do matter, but otherwise there is just too much emphasis on grades especially since they don't matter as much as people like to think they do, and they overall hurt you. After all, grades just show how well you function in a particular system, they don't always reliably predict readiness for a job, although they're a partial indicator.

Hey, I'm an A's and B's student, but in the end, grades are overblown.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Main - Serious discussion - Why I can't wait to move the fuck out New reply

Page rendered in 0.029 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 27, rows: 230/230, time: 0.016 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.