Kuribo64
Views: 8,231,531 Home | Forums | Uploader | Wiki | Object databases | IRC
Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
04-21-18 11:42 AM
Guest:

0 users reading The ongoing battle for ecology: what you should know | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - The ongoing battle for ecology: what you should know New reply

Pages: 1 2 3
shibboleet
Posted on 04-04-16 09:49 PM Link | #69438
who says earth would use it? :v

PaperplateismGuy
Posted on 04-05-16 03:45 AM Link | #69441
Posted by JakoNintenCraft
I still go with fusion.

STUFF: Maybe there could be something like a solar power plant on the Moon. Place panels on both hemispheres of the Moon and then power 24/7. And for eclipses there could be giant batteries or arrays of them buried in the moon to prevent heat and ice damage simce the moon experiences over 500°F temperature swings every lunar day (about 27.3 days Earth time)

It would take a long time to make a profit on what you brought up onto the moon, AND they're solar panels, AND they are hi-tech ultra durable ones too. Just to make them in high quantities would be very expensive. Then you have to get them to the moon, and that costs hundreds of millions- if not, billions of dollars to do.

May I ask what the gain of this would be? any practical application? There is no doubt it would be cool, but feasible, much less practical. I don't think so.

Sorry, if this post sounds mean (I'm not trying to be), I'm just curious to know what you think. :P

StapleButter
Posted on 04-05-16 04:09 PM Link | #69449
you'd need to run a huge wire from the Moon to the Earth, and that isn't feasible for basically the same reasons as space elevators

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

LeftyGreenMario
Posted on 04-05-16 10:32 PM Link | #69462
I'm trying my best to fight FOR ecology. Right now, I've just got some training for a conservation site, which is one of the remaining coastal wetlands in California. It is a biologically diverse and extremely important ecosystem that almost got raped by land development (yes I use "rape" because it is indeed thoroughly abused and exploited for profit, marinas, and wealthy people who want a nice view of the beach at the expense of wildlife, practically everything else). I think otherwise, though, I fall in some pitfall of a lot of American consumers such as throwing away products when they're intended to be recycled (I just noticed that some products we regularly throw away have a recycle logo on them) and I still ride cars. For my part, though, I limit taking showers and I'll definitely limit consumption of meat. I'm not concerned that I'm killing animals, I'm concerned about the overall sustainability of meat, especially beef, and its health impacts. I don't eat a lot of meat in the first place, but I'm considering having one meat-free day.

Super-toad 65
Posted on 07-21-16 09:39 AM Link | #74173
Simply kill everybody in the world

No seriously, i try to do something, but mu hateable parents di not let me do this thing -.-

My youtube channel

StapleButter
Posted on 07-21-16 09:46 AM (rev. 2 of 07-21-16 09:49 AM) Link | #74174
huh, what

also, one of the light bulbs here died. I look at it and surprise, one of those "low consumption" tubular, neon-like bulbs.

ecology my ass.

maybe those consume less than regular bulbs...

but they're full of mercury and other crap. There have been ad campaigns to try telling people where and how to dispose them, and sure enough, many people will just be lazy and trash them with the rest.

Want to be into ecology, or just reduce your power bill? Don't buy that crap. Look into LED bulbs, maybe.

Lunarius
Posted on 07-21-16 12:41 PM Link | #74194
I really like the Tesla Model S cars that Elon Musk is making. It isn't because it is comfortable or it is quiet. No, what peaked my interest was how Tesla was able to pull off to make a car run on electric power.

If you think about it, I believe electricity can mostly power anything. Cars, phones, clocks, stoves, lights and even modern lawnmowers are electric powered. I don't find anything wrong with switching to nuclear power. It sounds great but you have the risk of exploding the nuclear power plant.

I think electricity could replace most of our resources today. After all, electricity can power almost anything, right? I haven't heard of an any wastes or harmful things electricity has done to the Earth.

<Silvreus>I am a random person…
<Silvreus>With a random personality…
<Silvreus>With a random life…
<Silvreus>How fun. :P

JakoNintenCraft
Posted on 07-21-16 12:49 PM Link | #74195
Posted by Lunarius
I really like the Tesla Model S cars that Elon Musk is making. It isn't because it is comfortable or it is quiet. No, what peaked my interest was how Tesla was able to pull off to make a car run on electric power.

If you think about it, I believe electricity can mostly power anything. Cars, phones, clocks, stoves, lights and even modern lawnmowers are electric powered. I don't find anything wrong with switching to nuclear power. It sounds great but you have the risk of exploding the nuclear power plant.

I think electricity could replace most of our resources today. After all, electricity can power almost anything, right? I haven't heard of an any wastes or harmful things electricity has done to the Earth.

Yeah, but we have power plants for a reason: to MAKE ELECTRICITY. It's not like you could harvest electricity from nothing.

You're inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside a simulation, of a simulation, inside the Matrix, inside a taco, inside a taco, within a Taco Bell, that's inside a KFC, within a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!; inside another giant simulation!

StapleButter
Posted on 07-21-16 01:11 PM Link | #74196
not like power plants are the only way to generate it, though.

falling water and wind are already widely used to generate electricity. Sunlight works too but it's less efficient.

when it comes to cars, though, the issue isn't much producing the power but storing it. Batteries are commonly made with lithium, and there are environmental issues with mass lithium harvesting.

electric cars are solving a problem (air pollution) but creating another one. Atleast until battery tech is improved (and the techmorons stop making up garbage smart objects that all require batteries for mostly nothing).

public transport like tramway or subway is a viable alternative. It doesn't cover everybody's use cases, but for most of your travels inside a town (daily commute to work/school and back, for example), it's fine. Tramway and subway are powered by electricity and don't have the battery issue since they're permanently powered.

bus lines would work too, but busses participate to air pollution too. They're basically big cars.

Baby Luigi
Posted on 07-22-16 08:03 PM Link | #74406
The only concern I have for a Tesla car is the cost. I wonder how expensive that mother would be. Probably too expensive for me.

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-22-16 08:15 PM Link | #74409
Well, something from school finally gets some use! (human geography class)

Basically, the reason why we keep using coal as our main source of energy (and that produces massive air pollution when we convert it to energy, as we have to burn it) is because it is so much cheaper than all the other options. The same said can be applied to using gasoline to power our cars. Now we have other methods like hydraulic fracturing, for example. This however, just causes more problems. It has caused man-made earthquakes, pollution of major water sources, and also wastes a lot of clean water that we could otherwise use. The current state of solving real world problems is like, I think, taking shortcuts. Instead of pushing ourselves, we instead find another solution that will work for a while, but cause more problems.

And about the options, if the more "conservative" ways never get cheaper, then the ongoing battle for ecology will result in destruction. This is why it's been quite hard to actually persuade people to take the option that is more conservative, as most people don't have the money.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-23-16 05:23 AM Link | #74436
Posted by MusiMasta
Basically, the reason why we keep using coal as our main source of energy (and that produces massive air pollution when we convert it to energy, as we have to burn it) is because it is so much cheaper than all the other options.

ahahaha. what a short-sighted choice.

then again, a lot of our choices are short-sighted too. Like the 'smart object' craze. They want to replace your regular objects that have worked for ages with fancy smart objects, without committing themselves to making those work for long. It's all about extracting cash from idiots. And know what, I think they don't want to make their objects last long, because you'll be constantly buying new ones and that means even more money for them. Planned obsolescence!

The smart object craze is useless, stupid and can very well lead to ruining the Earth (and other fun things that are depicted in Wall-E). But you have the power to change that.

The harm is already done, tons of resources have already been wasted into smart garbage. But you still have power. Just don't buy their garbage. Don't fall for their shitty marketing. Don't be a technosheep. Technology should help mankind, not assist it. Whenever they try to sell you a smart toothpick that can tweet shit, ask yourself if you really need it.

anyway, I got a LED bulb to replace my crapped bulb here. It gives a nice light for a really small power consumption. I recommend it over the tubular bulb thing for those who want to save energy.

(that is, until we find out that LED bulbs contain uranium or whatever. maybe from that standpoint it's better to just use regular bulbs. I don't think the LED bulb can be simply trashed)

MercuryPenny
Posted on 07-23-16 09:32 AM Link | #74444
Posted by StapleButter
ahahaha. what a short-sighted choice.

not really, it's just how things work in western society. normal people without thousands and thousands of bucks to spare likely aren't going to buy expensive (and/or outright dangerous, see electric cars and fluorescent lightbulbs) alternatives to preexisting cheap resources.

on the other hand, if they were cheap, then the product quality would sharply decline.

send me your terrible userbars and such to advertize in my footer ;^)
[image]

youtube i never use

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL THESE CRAWLS THEY WILL NOT CRAWL

StapleButter
Posted on 07-23-16 09:35 AM Link | #74447
which is still short-sighted. You basically privilege your present comfort or wealth over preserving your environment for the future generations.

MercuryPenny
Posted on 07-23-16 09:39 AM Link | #74451
on the other hand, you probably won't live long enough to have any descendants to give the world to if you spend all your money on hybrid cars and fluorescent lightbulbs instead of food.

send me your terrible userbars and such to advertize in my footer ;^)
[image]

youtube i never use

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL THESE CRAWLS THEY WILL NOT CRAWL

StapleButter
Posted on 07-23-16 09:41 AM Link | #74454
you imply that taking responsible actions and keeping yourself alive are mutually exclusive, which is rather wrong.

anyway, I don't spend money over a car... not yet. Public transport is enough for what I want.

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-23-16 11:25 AM Link | #74461
I wasn't saying at all I preferred the old cheap ways, I was explaining why people haven't adopted the new ways of being more conservative. But the thing is, money is an issue when considering this. People, even my family won't make themselves bankrupt to save the environment. However, if we can save the environment but not pay too much of a cost, then it might be possible. People can do everything they can, like recycling, replacing with LED bulbs, etc, and that is helping, but ways that cost more like an electric car are simply impossible for most families, including mine. So basically, raising awareness is one, but doing the actual actions depends on the money available. That is, this problem would be easier if the government ever decided to advocate for this and make conservative options cheaper, though I doubt that will happen because of the much higher cost associated with them or until those cheap resources run out.

And yes...smart objects. Of course, people fall into ads, but my family and I don't watch too many ads, and we basically don't buy too much stuff either, we hate shopping. But this all depends into the people that get them. Also, the majority of global warming is caused by the actual factories themselves. If they adopt a cleaner source of energy...but pushing the customers to not buy their products is harder. Some legislation has to come up to actually get anywhere in this situation.

StapleButter
Posted on 07-23-16 11:46 AM Link | #74468
good luck writing a law to forbid mass-producing useless items :P

the best defense against this is raising awareness. People will know and avoid buying useless items, and in turn, useless items will just not be produced anymore. That shit only works because there are enough idiots to fall for it.

I hate to say it, but my parents are perfect techmorons. Dad has a ton of tablets and gadgets, most of them just sit somewhere collecting dust. The kitchen is full of cooking robots and you never know which one to use (and I sort of despise food made by a cooking robot, as good as it can taste, it feels unnatural). Mom's like "you have to follow progress even if it's shit" (haha, no. I'm not a sheep). I wouldn't be surprised to see them rush to adopt a smart lock or a smart thermostat or smart underwear, and their reasoning for it would be a perfect copypasta of the marketing blahblah that was pulled to sell those items.

MusiMasta
Posted on 07-23-16 11:58 AM Link | #74471
actually one of my job choices for later in life is a lawyer (the other is a research biologist) but yeah, it's gonna be hard :P

Raising awareness would certainly help (now people at Kuribo know the issue). Then the useless factories will shut down and less polution will be generated. And it's actually a simple way to solve the problem, but about its affectivity, might work, but people need to be pressed on spreading the message.

And yeah, my family is a bit techmoronish. My dad has like 10 Fire HD tablets, and 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 right now. And guess what, he doesn't even use them. At least the reason he does this is to "resell" it on eBay to make money, and not just let them collect dust. But I guess my mom is the perfect example of the opposite of a sheep. She hates technology a lot and could probably live with no internet.

Tahcryon
Posted on 07-23-16 12:58 PM Link | #74475
Posted by MusiMasta
[...]Raising awareness would certainly help (now people at Kuribo know the issue). Then the useless factories will shut down and less polution will be generated. [...]

Factories will be shut down, and tons of people will lose their jobs. What do you plan on doing about those people?

[04/15/2018]gridatttack: I still think the whole smg2.5 team are still in middle school lol
[04/15/2018]gridatttack: and they are 14yrs old

cosmological: There's no one in Russia who doesn't agree with Putin, probably because his ideas are that great

Pages: 1 2 3

Main - Serious discussion - The ongoing battle for ecology: what you should know New reply

Page rendered in 0.028 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 27, rows: 231/231, time: 0.015 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.