Kuribo64
Views: 8,589,196 Home | Forums | Uploader | Wiki | Object databases | IRC
Rules/FAQ | Memberlist | Calendar | Stats | Online users | Last posts | Search
07-15-18 09:03 PM
Guest:

0 users reading Preparing for life: are you even doing it right? | 1 bot

Main - Serious discussion - Preparing for life: are you even doing it right? New reply

Pages: 1 2
StapleButter
Posted on 10-14-15 02:47 PM (rev. 2 of 10-14-15 02:48 PM) Link | #65000
This year, univ is shit. I mean, really. I want to work in programming, okay, all nice. Makes sense to integrate the univ's IT class.

There are five subjects:
* algorithmics
* databases
* network
* distributed programming
* English

Okay, so far, all good.

How many of them actually touch code? One. Distributed programming. I end up basically editing Java code through a terminal, and not really having much of an idea what I'm doing, how fun.

(there's supposed to be some addon to Eclipse so I could use that, but for whatever dumb reason it refuses to work for me)

So how about the other subjects? English is legit, but I don't need it to be shoved down my throat with a teacher who basically makes you feel like you're living middle school all over again. Even worse, they decided it's the most important thing ever, and no second chance -- if you fail English, your whole year is trashed.

The rest is basically brain masturbation and paper scratching. Algorithmics is probably the worst, and I hear that a bad grade in it can't be compensed, but that has to be confirmed. Considering I have always sucked at that shit, it'd basically mean doom for me.

just go do something else

Well, a while back, I was doing something else. Another school, IT-oriented program. I failed (and at the same time got sick of it) when they suddenly decided that economics were the most important thing ever.

Then again, that school is full of shit. You want to work on physics? Cool, we will still force the IT-related subjects down your throat, including a particularly evil x86 ASM test. Yep, you read this right. Their choice of subjects and who gets what is just terrible.

And sadly, most of the schools over here are more or less like that. The basic idea is to teach you enterprise-related crap so you'll build your own start-up and ride rainbow ponies in the sunset while getting tons of money.

And after all... I want to be a programmer what does that prepare me for? Years of programming in Java. Ugh. Because Java is the new cool thing nowadays.

Is programming even a passion for me? Nope. It's a hobby, nothing more. What are my real passions? Good fucking question.

Like my sister said, there's working to live and living to work. Don't do the latter, it's the perfect way to burn out and end up in terrible depression.

That's why I despise when people go "I don't have time to have fun/have a relationship/whatever because I'm working all the time". Good job, you have become a working automaton, the actual person in you is lost. You let friendships decay and sink into automaton-style relationships because you think work is more important than anything else. You're doing it wrong.

but you need money to live

Sure. But you don't need to be working every damn second for it. Don't make work your whole life. Life doesn't have to be shitty.

Work is health, they say. Working too much is definitely not good for your health.

They say that, but I'm still as lost as to what I want to do. I'm also sick of studying crap and living off of my parents. I want to just say "fuck that shit, enough brain masturbation" and go work on something practical already.

what do you use to measure bolts? a boltmeter

Degolegodyl
Posted on 10-14-15 03:12 PM Link | #65001
Do you pay for university in France? aka, are you going to a private university? Not even sure if there are public universities in France, just asking. And it's kinda dumb how they make you take English.

StapleButter
Posted on 10-14-15 03:51 PM Link | #65003
It's public university. It's paid too, but it's much less expensive than private univ/school.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 10-14-15 04:10 PM Link | #65006
ah. I'm first year engineering right now, this semester I gotta take
-Calculus
-Physics
-Chemistry
-an elective where I picked Microeconomics
-Engineering profession
-Engineering Design

Now engineering design is all about modeling and making technical drawings. I find this so pointless, I know a guy that wants to go into software engineering, why would he ever need engineering design and chemistry? I hate when schools make you take stuff that isn't even required for your degree. It's already bad enough having 6 courses per semester but you're also gotta worry about stuff you don't need. It's like a doctor having to do theoretical physics for their degree, makes no sense.

And another thing, I wanted to take astronomy as my elective, they are like, no, you can't, engineering student's are not allowed to take that course. WTF why not? I had to pick between stuff like anthropology, economics, geography, and had to go with economics cause it's what interests me more, but I'm paying for these classes, why don't you let me take what I want?

StapleButter
Posted on 10-14-15 04:13 PM Link | #65007
welcome to today's dumb education systems

That's why I'm interested into seeing what the Ecole 42 will become.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 10-14-15 04:19 PM Link | #65008
Posted by StapleButter
welcome to today's dumb education systems

That's why I'm interested into seeing what the Ecole 42 will become.

Will it affect uni students at all though?

StapleButter
Posted on 10-14-15 04:24 PM Link | #65009
Not sure what you mean, but...

Ecole 42 is an entirely new school developed in France. They focus on teaching you programming and teaching you to rely on yourself (ie. not being a noob) and work in a team.

Downsides are that they aren't recognized by the French State, and they use Macs.

At the end of this year, students will get out of it for the first time. Will be interesting to watch.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 10-14-15 05:05 PM Link | #65011
Wat they aren't recognized by the french state? What's it good for then? Like, do you get a diploma from it at the end or what? Cause it's pretty dumb that it isnt recognized by France if France developed it :P

StapleButter
Posted on 10-14-15 05:30 PM Link | #65012
France didn't develop it. It was started by the CEO of Free and some others.

France doesn't recognize it because it doesn't follow the regular, approved, old-fashioned scheme. The diploma you get is officially worth nothing, meaning all the old-fashioned companies will shit on you. But you'll get jobs at Free, Google, and new-fashioned start-ups and some companies more willing to experiment.

It's even said that some companies ask 42 students to make projects for them.

Lunarius
Posted on 10-14-15 10:58 PM Link | #65025
Posted by StapleButter
[…] you'll get jobs at Free, Google, and new-fashioned start-ups and some companies more willing to experiment.

It's even said that some companies ask 42 students to make projects for them.

Isn't that good? o_O IMO, that sounds like a great opportunity to get a job that is related to technology software. I always thought being requested by Google to do something for them and being generously paid by them was what any general programmer wanted : A huge company hiring them.

Then again, I may be just overlooking something and believing being in Google is the best place to have a programming job.

<Silvreus>I am a random person…
<Silvreus>With a random personality…
<Silvreus>With a random life…
<Silvreus>How fun. :P

Degolegodyl
Posted on 10-15-15 11:20 AM Link | #65029
It's not that google is bad, it's just that you won't get hired by anyone else. Getting a old-school programming diploma or computer science degree will get you anywhere, but this one school has limited opportunities as of now.

StapleButter
Posted on 10-15-15 12:42 PM Link | #65031
Depends on how you see things.

Google provides all sorts of facilities so you can easily go to work and live near them. Basically a Google town.

It's said that leaving that Googletown is frowned upon.

Sevrault
Posted on 10-16-15 09:58 AM Link | #65056
Posted by StapleButter
It's said that leaving that Googletown is frowned upon.

no surprise there

(also did you know that Google is in the same state from the US as I live in?)

YouTube || Twitter
kinda addicted to team fortress 2 now whoopee

Spacey
Posted on 10-16-15 02:50 PM Link | #65062
I kinda disagree with living to work burning you out. It of course depends on what you do, but as someone who has a passion for programming, the only time i've gotten burned out was working on a project that died because of an error that made me have to pretty much write everything from scratch.

I don't usually find it getting stale because there is almost always something new to learn. It just sucks that a lot of the schools that have programming courses have ones that suck, are pointless, or focus on things that are, more likely than not, passing fads.

Who knows, maybe im just to optimistic about life; I can't really tell if that is a good or bad thing.

StapleButter
Posted on 10-16-15 02:59 PM Link | #65064
Being optimistic is better than the opposite, though.

Maybe programming did get stale for me? Dunno. I have trouble motivating myself to work on CoinKiller.

I thought about writing a DS emulator that stands out, but eh, you guess how things go.

Maybe I need to do entirely new things. No idea what, though.

Degolegodyl
Posted on 10-16-15 03:17 PM Link | #65065
I used to love programming, now for me its something that I can do well, not something I enjoy doing per se. This is why I ended up not going into the computer science field. Programming is like knowing another language, you can speak in the language but you don't necessarily want to major in it.

Spacey
Posted on 10-16-15 03:26 PM Link | #65066
Posted by StapleButter
I have trouble motivating myself to work on CoinKiller.

I thought about writing a DS emulator that stands out, but eh, you guess how things go.

Maybe I need to do entirely new things. No idea what, though.

Gosh do I know this feeling. I was at a place like that once, things didn't get stale; but I just lacked motivation.

You really need to find a project you enjoy working on, it will help motivate you for other projects. A good way to do it is to challenge yourself with something, speaking of emulators, that's what I challenged myself to do that got me out of this "rut", with all that lack of motivation stuff (I never finished it, I restarted it though and I really hope to finish it this time).

StapleButter
Posted on 10-16-15 03:34 PM Link | #65067
Oh, interesting. What's it supposed to emulate?

Spacey
Posted on 10-16-15 03:42 PM Link | #65069
Posted by StapleButter
Oh, interesting. What's it supposed to emulate?

Its pretty much what you would expect from someone who never made an emulator before, just a shitty chip8 emulator that was broken as fuck/never finished in C# that im rewriting in js because hur dur school get chrome books. I may try some other systems like nes soon, but I thought it would be best to start simple.

StapleButter
Posted on 10-16-15 05:41 PM Link | #65072
Oh, the typical shiz.

My first emulator-related experience was making plugins for PCSX2, although it sucked. The first time I wrote my own emulator was lolSNES (which later provided the base for blargSNES).

Pages: 1 2

Main - Serious discussion - Preparing for life: are you even doing it right? New reply

Page rendered in 0.027 seconds. (2048KB of memory used)
MySQL - queries: 27, rows: 231/231, time: 0.014 seconds.
[powered by Acmlm] Acmlmboard 2.064 (2017-11-20)
© 2005-2008 Acmlm, Xkeeper, blackhole89 et al.